1995 Pontiac Sunfire Problem! Help !!

Asked by Dec 30, 2010 at 01:18 PM about the 1995 Pontiac Sunfire

Yesterday I was on my way to go and visit some family when the car started pulling
some stunts. First thing was that when I came out of a 70/kmph zone to a stop
light the car shuddered and then stalled. I got it started, it starts fine but when
shifting out of park and into drive it stalled again. And Again. Starting it was no
problem, but when shifting it didn't work. I started it in neutral and revved the
engine a little just before shifting and got the car moving quickly into drive, and
we were fine for the next few lights. Those lights however, were in a town zone so
the speed was max 50/kmph. When I was back up to 80/kmph and came to another
stop light, the car did the same thing! Shuddered and then stalled when the engine
needed to shift from 2nd into low. I have a sneaking suspicion it is the modulator
valve but I'm not sure. The Tranny was replaced just over a year ago. Any ideas or
possible avenues I can look into to fix this? I have to get this car moving so that I
can get back to school! Thank you for any help :)

285

What you are feeling is like you coming to a stop when driving a standard transmission car and you come to a stop with out stepping on the clutch pedal and it stalls. It sounds like the lock up torque converter is staying locked up. This locking up happens at higher speeds. The lock up solenoid is sticking in side the transmission. It may need to be replaced or.....if your lucky you might want to try a transmission flush. that might fix it.

I dont think you have a modulator valve on it,check for vac leaks,clean egr if equiped with one clean IAC with carb cleaner.