1998 Plymouth Breeze

Asked by Jul 09, 2010 at 08:15 AM about the 1998 Plymouth Breeze

I have a 1998 Plymouth Breeze Sedan.. 2.4 enginie... 4 cylinder

Here is my Question:   My Car has two electric fans on it... Recently the car has been overheating when I turn on the air conditoner... I replaced thermostat
and I replaced coolant temp sensor:

the high speed fan as its called on the passengers side will come on just fine... but the fan on the drivers side called low speed fan will only come on if the air conditioner is off..... As soon as I turn on the air conditioner the drivers side fan will stop running..... The other one will stay on constantly which is good.

I am wondering if that is how the drivers side fan is suppose to do?  only come on when the air conditioner is off?  and if so why cause that to me seems to be the only reason the car is overheating.  If i leave air conditioner off to where both fans will work one all the time  and one only when car heats up then it will not overheat....

I have a 98, 2.4 as well. I had some overheating issues, my drivers side fan stopped from a bad motor. What I can tell you from research... both fans are designed to run at the same time, no matter what. They both run at the same speed, there is low and high speeds, but they both would run the same, not one is the low, and the other is the high. Both the same motor, so both have the same capability. One down will def pose overheat issues. I would look at the underhood fuse box. Check all you fuses that would pertain, and possibly replace the relays. I do not remember if there is a high and low for each fan, I don't think so, sinces they run concurrently...you may be able to move them around and run some tests for a bad relay if so. I think based on the scenario, the motor could have some issues preventing from operating on high and may need replacing. The fans will run low, but putting the ac on high should tiger the fans to go high speed....