99 Plymouth Breeze won't crank, help?

Asked by Feb 05, 2014 at 01:17 AM about the 1999 Plymouth Breeze 4 Dr STD Sedan

99 Plymouth Breeze. Will turn over and run for a few seconds, then sputters a few times
and dies. I can hear the fuel pump hum when I turn on the battery, so I assume it's
working. What else would it be, the crankshaft?

the crankshaft sensor...good call...if you ain't gettin spark...you should pull a sparkplug and stuff a wooden handle screwdriver in there and with a gloved hand put the spark plug wire/screwdriver close to ground to see if you've got spark...if you do not see any spark...we shall have to find out why~

well if its runs for a few seconds and then dies it must be getting spark.... I would have fuel pressure gage hooked up and ready to see if the pressure falls out...maybe dirty fuel filter, bad gas or rusted line also will it fire back up after it dies? let us know... hth

No, once it dies it stays that way. I can turn it off, crank it again and the same thing will happen, a few sputters and then it cuts off.

the sputters are it trying to start so it must be getting spark that why I said look more towards the fuel delivery.. maybe spray some starting fluid and see if stays running longer or turn keys on and off a few times to get more gas and if it runs longer then before check fuel presure.... like I said could be dirty filter or even bad gas...

I bought it about two weeks ago and it had a full tank, it cranked without issue. As the tank slowly emptied it started having more issues cranking. This started happening once the tank got down to around 1/8.

you sure gauge is right and your not out of gas? very common..

I thought the same and put about a gallon and a half in it today. No change.

did you try turning the keys back and forth a few time to maybe prime it ? still thinking fuel issue...

Just tried that. Still hear the fuel pump humming on start up, but it won't crank.

M having same problem. But I got it going other day then ran out of gas again. Taking leave need to get going. I can tell it wants to start.