Why would water pump bearings go bad? Mechanic said that's what causes the high pitched sporadic whistle. I

Asked by Aug 12, 2015 at 01:58 AM about the 1999 Plymouth Voyager

It happens when light/slow braking reaches 20 mph /less  or when waiting at light. Barely
touch gas pedal & sound quits.  Van has Braun's Entervan II  system & is locked in kneel
position.  Only 59K miles.  How much $$ to fix?

Would try replacing serpentine belt first and with belt off you can check the bearing on the water pump and other accessories by spinning with hand and listen for a roaring noise while it is spinning.