temp gauge question

40

Asked by Jan 28, 2012 at 07:21 PM about the 1991 Nissan 300ZX

The temp gauge on my 91 keeps jumpimg up & down. When I get on the gas & I'm running at 3000rpms the temp needle goes to cold & stays there. When I let off the gass it goes to the middle showing regular temp.... What do you think causes this? Also when I bought the car they guy that the over flow radiator hose pinched off. I took the clamp off so the radiator overflow could be used again....any reason why the guy would have it pinched off?

1,415

it sounds like your thermostat is stuck wide open or possibly some one took it out -- that is assuming you have plenty of coolant in the car. Sometimes you can gain power by keeping the motor cooler. I see no good reason to pinch off the overflow tank -- buy a new rad cap while you re messing with stuff -- they go bad more than you think!

40

I flushed the system & refilled the coolant with 50/50. I've been keeping my eye on the coolant level & everything seems fine. If there was air is the system would it work itself out?