1990 Ford Festiva, transmission gear change lag from 1st to 2nd.

10

Asked by Jan 18, 2013 at 03:26 PM about the 1990 Ford Festiva

My daughter is contemplating buying an automatic 1990 Ford Festiva but the gear change from 1st to 2nd is slightly
sluggish (switches to 2nd around 15mph).  The transmission was replaced or repaired in 2010 and the modulator
this week.  Asking price is 900.00.  Should she stay clear (she's 17).

6,855

hmm.. not sure. I've never had an auto but they only have 3 speeds. The auto's in the festiva's are pretty gutless. Is there lag in response when you put it into gear or just concerned with how long it takes to go into 2nd? check out www.fordfestiva.com and ask around, you'll get some great answers compared to here. I would be more concerned with if it has rust or not than the trans, but that's me.

10

Thanks walth..... Had a mechanic look at it, something with the motor not trans. Appreciate your help.

6,855

so are you buying it? what's wrong with it exactly?