Ford Festiva WA 1992, stalling first thing in the morning.

20

Asked by Jan 31, 2013 at 04:28 AM about the 1992 Ford Festiva L

My 1992 Ford Festiva WA runs great & is very reliable but has recently started stalling when at idle first thing in the
morning until it warms up.  If I drive off straight away it feels to me as if the auto choke isn't working.  Can someone  
tell me how to test this & repair if necessary.  I'm not terribly car motor savvy so directions would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks, Steve

45

it could be a carburator issue do you live in wa state

45

it may be the idle air control module its usually on the intake. an easy way to test it is un plug it, and if your car does not do any thing ie stall its more then likely the problem. however if the car does stall or reduce drastically in rpm that module is working

The 92's came with one of these; 1,138 cc Mazda B1 I4 1,290 cc Mazda BJ I4[5] 1,324 cc Mazda B3 I4 and the B3 was fuel injected, the others carburetors, so Cameron could be right, a automatic choke issue, it does have OBDII, no port under the steering column it's under the hood but having the OBDII codes read may tell you something

45

most autoparts stores will read your codes for free i would start there.

20

Thank you all for your help. A very strange thing happened today, for the very first time when started the revs went to 2000r.p.m. & have stayed there? From what I have been reading on these pages I'm thinking it could be the choke pull off? However I don't know how to identify this part or how to test it. My Festiva is an Australian model, made in Korea I believe. Can anyone post a picture or something that will allow me to identify the CPO & give some directions to checking that is the problem & how it may be fixed? Many thanks, Steve

185

Hi Steve. Just perusing some Festiva questions, my interest piqued at your 6 month old question, curious how the car's doing NOW, what you might have done or had done, and what you might have learned in the process. Oh, and I ALSO have a 92, which is fuel injected, and is currently on the wait and see list. My first thought reading your car's symptoms was to suggest putting a pint of injector cleaner in the gas tank, and HOPE it would be so simple. Then's when I got to the 6 month ago you posted and received some suggestions quickly and I realized a lot could have taken place in your and your car's situations, so I's just hoping you now, or whenever you're back in the CarGuru neighborhood will share some really good news with me and other CG occasional (and fulltime devotee's too); or if the news is NOT good, well, we're adults and can probably handle THAT as well!! haha Might even have helpful information, who knows! Anyway, best wishes, friend, and check out my appeal for help I just posted This evening> Thank you !