i have a 93 capri non turbo changed timing belt and water pump drove out of the gerage about 30 miles later i went arround a corner and it died. checked inertia switch not popped have spark fuel and compression.... why wont it restart?

Asked by Jul 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM about the 1993 Mercury Capri

did all the basic tests other than a obd code reader (dont have one) i have all an engine normally needs to start but it doesnt. i am a mechanic so ive checked all the obvious fuses relays and such just doesnt make sense.... shoulda bought a chevy

101,485

Did you recheck the timing after it died?

15

Remove the coolant overflow bottle and check the cluster of wires and connectors for corrosion or breaks. I was shaking ot my wires on my 91 and unknowingly separated a wire in a connector that goes to the main relay located next to the drivers headlight. Took me a month and a half to find what had happened an 5 minutes to fix. My car would do every thing but start and an analog voltmeter can get you engine codes if you know how to connect it but with the problem i had (broken wire) you wouldn't even be able to get the codes.

1,115

Did you recheck the alignment of the timing belt? It may have jumped or even come off.

1,115

By the way, if you want a headache, buy a 2.5 Chevy and start playing with the poor timing gears on that!!!

yes i did check to make sure the timing belt was still lined up the only thing i can think is the crank key is sheared but i cant get the bolt out to tell

1,115

I just remembered a problem I had with a 1974 Mustang I had with the same motor. The spring pin that holds the gear on the distributor sheared off. It still had spark and fuel, but wouldn't start. Easy to check, just pull off the distributor cap and see how far the rotor turns, it shouldn't move more than a half an inch or so, if it does, pull out the distributor and put in a new pin.

45

When it doesn't start, crank it over and observe the tach....if the needle doesn't move, it's the ignitor in the distributor - very common problem with these cars. Tip was given to me by Roo-Sport.com (503-919-4227). They also have all the parts you'll need, at some of the lowest prices on the web!