My mercury capri is doing the weirdest thing. So it used to start and it would run great then it would just die for no ape rent reason ( good battery, good fuel, and good air) then if you opened the..

Asked by Jul 02, 2015 at 11:48 PM about the 1993 Mercury Capri 2 Dr STD Convertible

door it would start back up if you left it in gear and were rolling.. like a push start .. but the
door opening seemed to be the key .. then it was in a wreck, i fixed the cosmetic damage
but after the wreck it made it half way home died and hasn't started sense. the starter
turns and sounds like its just out of gas but the fuel pump and line are good and its got a
good 3/4 tank of good gas. any ideas???

285,705

Sounds like a wiring issue related to something in the door where your getting a short. Check your battery. Is it 12.4V or higher?

5

Fuel Pump reset in the trunk sounds like the problem to me. This is located usually under a flap in the trunk on the left side. If that doesn't help I don't know what else to suggest.

I have a 94 XR2 capri With a 1.6 L when it wouldn't start I found out it was sucking air in between the air filter box and the carburetor there's a switch underneath the air filter box that has to have the correct vacuum to flip that switch open to make it start and run I used tape on the fiber portion of the intake line from the air filter to the intake and it started right up and ran good (ha ha )

They are a nightmare aren't they don't give up they are worth keeping, I get 35mpg on Highway at If I stay under 80