i have a 1991 mercury capri i took the timing belt off and now i need to no how to set the timing of ther timing belt and cam shafts

Asked by Apr 10, 2015 at 02:35 PM about the 1991 Mercury Capri 2 Dr STD Convertible

please help i need to no how to set the timing and the camshaft pulleysin alignment i
have it all off and my helper did not mark the pulleys correctly so i need a diagram or
explanation on how to set timing

.

click images

Bad part it it seems there are no marks on cam sprockets, unless put there before dis-assembly this may help though http://www.fixya.com/cars/t6515470-diagram_timing_marks_1991

Best Answer
7,255

The engineers dropped the ball on that one.

That they did CamaroCollector . Unbelievable. The timing cover is a long-shot I found and not all have that!

The crank key will point to arrow , the intake cam should have an letter i aligned with arrow on belt cover and exhaust cam should have letter e aligned with arrow on belt cover. This is an interference engine so do NOT try to start it until you are SURE it's right. Marks on timing cover is key. Talk about vague..