Why does my car start beeping --5 times repeatedly - like seatbelt not hooked

Asked by Feb 23, 2013 at 02:52 PM about the 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis

beeps 5 x   -- later 5X   repeatly and randomly

264,365

Your air bag light is burnt out. When you have a malfunction in the air bag system usually the air bag light flashes. When its burnt out than there is a chime thats rings repeatedly. You will have to remove the instrument cluster and replace the bulb.

Best Answer Mark helpful
28,965

are there any warning lights on in the dash? if the seatbelt is buckled is the indicator on saying it is not? door ajar light on?

28,965

tom is right it can beep if there is a fault with the airbag system. but there are a bunch of other things thats could cause it also. dunno how he knows that in this case the light is burnt out?

28,965

here is a list of what causes the warning chime to activate... The Lighting Control Module (LCM) controls the warning chime function using various inputs to determine when to sound the warning chime. The warning chime sounds if: 1:the headlamps are on with the key removed from the ignition lock cylinder and the driver door ajar. 2:the key is in the ignition lock cylinder in the OFF position with the driver door ajar. 3:a door is ajar with the ignition switch in the ON position. 4:the safety belts are not fastened with the ignition switch in the ON position. 5:the ignition switch is in the ON position and an air bag warning chime request is received by the Instrument Cluster (IC) from the Restraints Control Module (RCM) . 6:the message center displays a warning message (if equipped). 7:a fail safe cooling chime request message is received from the IC by a request from the PCM.

28,965

Nah but ask and you shall receive. Now he knows what it could be. Bet it wont even be marked helpful. Tisk tisk

655

we have one in the shop now 5 long beeps coming from lcm but no visible faults , there is a code b1750 shorted low beam but all works great, i also noted that the seat belt warning light and the seat belt itself do not always correspond , we believe this is yet another fault pattern of the lcm. as professional i think you all should concentrate on the problem

240

have the same thing going on with my grand marquis now. has been checked all over - air bag, instrument panel, seat belts and lights - all are ok. i get 5 slow chimes, a pause, then 5 slow chimes, etc., for a total or a pattern of 5 times. it is not the same as the rapid repeat of the seat belt warning or the warning chime from the message center.

Check the brake fluid level and the tire pressure...the spare as well (if monitored)~

655

the chime you dicribed is not a normal warning chime ,we found after chasing this problem for days that the battery ( cracked cell) was bad after tring a NEW battery all was good. this was found watching voltage @ the lighting control module it was eratic and would fall out intermittinly . ITS EASY JUST TRY A NEW BATTERY

655

OH YEA , YOU WILL FIND THAT YOUR CHIME PATTERN IS NOT DISCRIBED IN ANY FORD INFO , 5 SLOW BEEPS 5 TIME IN A ROW, WE EVEN SPOKE WITH SEVERAL FORD TECHS WITH NO HELP. SOMETIMES EXPERINCE BEATS EDUCATION. GOOD LUCK

1,045

5 slow beeps followed by a pause or no beeps just a flashing airbag light indicator. the 5 beeps is for the passenger airbag sensor. The code 5-1 light on the dash is for the sensor control on the steering wheel assembly for that airbag. This was a common code that ford went with back in 92 when they changed from the Box car shape to the more normal rounded body shape we all see today. Its a fault indicator in the electronics that causes this to occur. Have had it fire off on my daily 1994 merc ever since the wiring was redone ( note never deal with a repair shop that under cuts price to get a car supposedly back on the road ) Usually what causes it is a mis read in the computer an the harness which controls the sensor. Easy to take to a dealer an tell them you need a code 5-1 for the driver side air bag sensor. For the front dash passenger airbag its the repeated 5 beep or chime code you tell them for that airbag.

Thank you

90

Everyone here is wrong especially the gjunwho aped the comment from crown Vic net. It's not a burnt out light it's a low charge battery condition. Net that battery is old or loose or just weakened maybe you're running a sound system. Tnatndraims the battery and you've beeƱshort tripping the car not fully charging the battery in any case it a low battery charge chime I get it on extremely cold days and my battery is old...once it runs forma while a mile or two with nothing on radio blower etc it will just go away. Not sure why they don't have a light connected to said chi!e but that's your issue. Had these cars since the 98 I currently own an 06 p71

90

It's a low charge battery condition.. There is no light connected with it strangely but that IS the correct answer charge your battery or buy a new one as I SHOULD DO ON MINE I HAVE THE SAME THING AT FIRST IT MAKES YOU LOOK AT THE DOOR AJAR LIGHT BUT IT WILL BE OFF...low charge battery come. 100% sure of it

40

Any way to turn the chime off? Just the sound... Like pull out the little speaker for it or pull a fuse????

50

To turn the chime off: 1. Take out the glove box (3 screws underneath) 2. Find the blue box with two wire harnesses going into it. (Right infrot of you on left side) 3. Disconnect bottom wire harness on blue box. 4.Done ( airbag light will stay on constant but no annoying chime)

50

It took me like 10 mins. Pretty easy.

Would this be something that I could expect in a 2001 Crown Vic? I noticed this alarm (5 times in a sequence) was unlike any other sound in the car. It sounded like a cell phone alert tone. It goes through the sequence and stops. It has happened 2 times within a week. I live on a bumpy dirt road. Thank you for your help. My mechanic has no clue. I recorded it so he could hear it...still no idea.

10

This beeper has been going off in my 1990 Mercury Colony Park for a couple months, more frequently recently. My son looked it up on his smart 'phone and it said it was related to the air bag warning light (which had recently burnt out) and that the beeper was on top of the steering column. I pulled knee pads off the dash and spent a long time trying to find beeper without success. Even went to the glove box as one person suggested, no little blue box to disconnect. Had a local shop look up wiring diagram, said no beeper, warning buzzer or chimes show up on the diagram. All I want is to snip the wire and stop the beep!

10

Just had this same problem. 5 sets of 5 beeps. Ford diagnosed it as seat belt tensioner. They wanted $480 for a new tensioner and 3 hrs of labor @ $120/hr. I took the seat belt assembly off myself ( half hour) and shipped it to a company in Westfield MA , called " My Safety Belt Inc.. They fixed it for $60 plus $18 return shipping. I installed it and BEEPING IS GONE !!!!!!!!

My '06 Crown Vic LS Sport now goes through 2 sequences of 5 slow beeps each and the instrument cluster airbag light stays on. I replaced the passenger side airbag light with no change. QUESTION: What do 2 sequences of 5 beeps each mean?