have 2001 mini van -mazda.. my oil light comes on when i brake, but not when i accelerate?does this mean the sensor is bad.oil is fine not losing any?is this bad if sensor is bad?

Asked by Aug 11, 2012 at 02:12 AM about the 2001 Mazda MPV

was told by buys that installed new oil pan , after i took it in to them ( the light kept coming on)that i needed a new engine... well i cant do that right now-so i use lucas w my oil and check it constantly ..i also baby the van and do not drive it on the highway just short distances... so scared it will break!

237,535

You didn't say how many miles were on the van, or if the garage replaced the oil sending unit.(inexpensive fix) But if you have over 200K, then I would agree with your mechanic. Probably worn rods and bearings will contribute to low oil pressure. While you save for a new engine or vehicle, I would suggest using a thicker weight oil.