what does it mean when the "leveling" light is on

5

Asked by Jan 11, 2014 at 11:51 AM about the 1996 Mazda MPV 4 Dr LX 4WD Passenger Van

please help me- theres a light on in my 1996 mazda van that says "leveling" (not blinking,
just on) what does it mean and what do i need to do? any info is much appreciated...
thanks

115,095

http://www.mazdaforum.com -- check out this web site. They have some info about your self leveling shocks system. The light being on is telling you that there is a problem with them. Is the front of the vehicle higher than the back? If so the problem is with the back shocks. Some owners replace with regular air shocks and adjust them as needed due to thier load requirements.

60

If you have found answers to your problem, great. My 95 MPV has the same problem and I've ordered MA818 Monroe Max Air shocks from Rock Auto (online) approximately $65 with shipping. This is a manual replacement system that requires you to inflate the rear shocks via a tire valve just as you would a tire. You decide when the rear is high enough. The OEM system on my van consists of a Controller above the rear axle (I believe under the rear seats somewhere as I have not located it yet), a Compressor Relay in the relay box under the hood on the driver side, an Air Compressor under the windshield washer reservoir on the passenger side behind the headlamp, an air line to the rear shocks which should have a T fitting somplace along with a vent valve for lowering the shocks, and a level sensor attached to the top of the rear differential and the car body such that it moves/rotates as the vehicle is raised and lowered.