Towing a 1982 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur

Asked by Sep 05, 2019 at 10:36 AM about the 1982 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur

I need to have the car towed to a mechanics' about 30 miles away. The car won't start at the moment. It's been sitting for about five years. I've drained the oil and gas and replaced with fresh before attempting a start. Also put in a new battery. Engine cranks but doesn't start.

Before towing, what are considerations? The gear selector doesn't seem responsive, i.e., I don't seem to be able to put it into neutral. A few weeks ago, I thought I stumbled on something in the literature about the engine needing to be running in order for the gear shift selector to operate but now I can't find a specific reference.

If this is true, is there an "easier" option other than disconnecting the drive shaft to prepare the vehicle for a safe tow? Can the vehicle be safely towed as it is now, with the rear wheels lifted and the front wheels rolling?

Sorry for my ignorance in these matters. Thanks in advance for any help or info.

253,945

Do yourself a favor and hire a flat bed truck to haul your RR! They will know how to get it on the truck.

Thanks for the response. Yes, flat-bed tow is an option. But even in that circumstance, don't all wheels need to spin freely, i.e., car in neutral, for at least a short distance while the car is winched up onto the flatbed?