Why do FIATS go thru so many owners? Why is this car traded so often?

Asked by Jun 06, 2017 at 09:28 AM about the 2015 FIAT 500

does the FIAT have many maintenance issues?

29,485

It's NOT a good car.. and people buy them because they appear cute.... it's all flash.... A slick marketing thing.... plus, they're basically Chrysler cars and sorry to say, but Chysler cars are junk...read this, http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/12/fiat-sales-crumbling- america/

Awesome n4 Thank you so much!

F.I.A.T. = Failed Italian Attempt at Transportation.

120

Theres quite literally NOTHING Chrysler in any Fiat, theres quite literally millions of Fiats happily running around Europe, Brazil, south Africa & India on a daily basis that are cheap to run, more reliable than anything else even vaguely similar & generally put a smile on your face. Most Fiats have the well proven FIRE petrol engines, a superb engine dating back to the mid 80`s, and with normal, basic maintenance is easily capable of 2-300,000 miles without issue. I have been running Fiats (& Jaguars) on a daily basis for decades, both of which have been spectacularly reliable, unlike other "premium" German cars I've owned. I`ve had my current 1990 Fiat for over 9 years, & to date it's been completely reliable. I've not even had to change the battery yet. My brother, a driving instructor, has a 2012 Abarth 500 which has done 180,000 miles, to date its only needed a starter, an alternator, a front exhaust flexy, a set of engine mounts & a few batteries. Thats it.. Its left him stranded once with a broken coolant hose clip, & that was sorted within half an hour. The worst thing for Fiat is its reputation in certain countries, including the USA, & going by the ignorant statements on your question, I`d say that ill founded reputation (often quoted by people who've never touched a Fiat, let alone owned one) is still very much in effect.. Another problem because of this "reputation" is poor residuals, this leads to people skipping on servicing & maintenance, in many cases completely ignoring all servicing requirements completely, which, obviously, results in cars wearing out or failing much sooner, which then results in the skinflint, half arsed owners moaning about the manufacturers reliability. Frankly, you are infinitely more likely to be left stranded in a VW, Audi or BMW than you are in a Fiat, contrary to popular belief.

29,485

Well, it's not just an opinion about reliability....why don't you look at sources such as True Delta....the First 500 L has a terrible record... Really.."skipping maintenance"...can just about send any car into turmoil.... not a good idea...

120

I`m speaking from experience Markw1952, having been a long term Fiat owner & someone who knows many happy Fiat owners, what's your direct, personal experience with Fiat, other than reading posts on websites that are specifically there for people to complain on? Theres roughly 400,000 Fiat 500`s currently registered in the UK (where I am), as well as 100,000 Panda`s (which have the same chassis & running gear as the 500) and over 200,000 Punto`s (which shame the running gear & most of the electrics), thats approaching 3/4 of a million cars just in the UK alone, theres virtually no streets in London that dont have at least one 500 in them, and you cant go 5 minutes without seeing a few driving, you cant move for them, yet how many times have I Fiats broken down at the side of the road? I can't recall a single one since my brothers coolant pipe clip broke a couple of years ago (@ around 150,000 miles), yet I see broken down BMW`s, Mercs & VAG cars stranded at least twice a week, that tells me everything I need to know... On top of that, when you look at the reviews on reliability website, how many issues are related to actual reliability? A squeaky seat, a burned bulb, a broken heater knob, even a cracked windscreen.. I mean, seriously? Whats actually left you stranded? People moan about the stupidest of things, and in many cases broken trim & switchgear breaking will often be down to an owner with the mechanical sympathy of a Rhinoceros, so I'm afraid I don't take their stories seriously.

60

I have 2 fiat 500. 2012 and a 2014. One with 200,000 miles one with 130,000 miles. Never had an issue at all. I find it hard to believe that I just happen to get two that are good and so many are bad. These cars are great.

10

People reporting that the Fiat 500 is a bad car are ignorant as hell, and very likely never had one. The Fiat 500 is a outstanding car in the reliability department. I have a 2012 one with 152,700 miles on it, and here is what it needed: 1 battery, rear bushings replaced. That's it.. It has been, by FAR the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned., and I mean by FAR.

Does anyone have experience with the 0,9 twinair motor? Reliability and mechanically, like is it a good engine I cared for properly?

I have a fiat 2014 that only has 74,800 miles and the dealership reports that it has a bad engine. Please tell me how is this possible? I've never gotten into a car accident with the car nor to I drive on empty when it comes to gas. I've went on 2 road trips and always get my car maintenance. Please help me if you can because this is tremendously OUTRAGEOUS!! I will not buy a new engine for a car that still can be sold brand new. I haven't gotten my time out of it plus I LOVED MY CAR but I'm in fury for being sold a car with a faulty engine email me splunge22@gmail.com

10

Hey Markw1952 You have no idea what your talking about. Pabs is right. Everything he said was correct about the Fiat 500. There are literally thousands and thousands of them driving around in the UK alone, not to mention many other countries throughout the Globe. The Fiat 500 is a outstanding car with outstanding reliability overall. Brian