Navigation System on a 2015 Equinox. Is there a way to turn off the restrictions that prevent the passenger from entering address in the GPS while the car is moving?

Asked by Apr 19, 2015 at 11:05 AM about the 2015 Chevrolet Equinox

I didn't realize that the 2015 Equinox was so restrictive.  I call it a 'Nanny' car. The
Navigation system will not allow any data entry when the car is in motion.   If you
make a phone call to a party that requires a keyboard, the car won't let you access
the keyboard to enter a number, while you are driving.   So the passenger is just as
restricted as the driver.   It is a bit frustrating and if there is a way to override these
restrictions we would sure like to know about it.

8,665

Not really, those are built in safety features in the system itself.

19,815

It is really frustrating until you realize it would be the same as texting or phone gabbing while driving. It took me 6 months to calm down on my Tarrain because of the "new" electronics. I still have problems trying to figure out all the stuff. I went back to the dealer 6 times and still could not get any good answers. If you want to do anything with the navigation system, find a parking lot and do it before driving.

You can push the onstar button and tell them the addres and then it will be sent to your car while your driving.

19,815

ONLY if you have chosen and paid for that service can ON or Will on star give you your position. Look out the window and read the road signs. That should get anyone started as to their location. :-)

85

You should be able to enter an address by voice command as well, press your hands free phone button on your steering wheel then say Navigation - then it will go through a list of options (ex. Address, etc) that you can say. (CTE at Cecil Clark Chevrolet in Leesburg, FL)

85

To answer your other question: If you make a phone call to a party that requires a keyboard, the car won't let you access the keyboard to enter a number, while you are driving. Have you tried using the number screen available on the touchscreen under the Phone icon when you are on a call?

19,815

The call system will ask you to say a phone name that is in you phone book or tell them the [phone number. This is or can be done while driving. This navigational and phone system is programed to not allow input to the system while driving to prevent distracted driving. So you answer will be, no, there is not a bypass around the system. Too bad the navigational system will not allow verbal input of addresses while driving. That would make me, you and others less irritated.

85

Here is a video explaining the voice commands to use Navigation if you are driving. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A05j4Z5NAOg

50

Where is the GPS on my car

19,815

Hit the navigation button and you position is shown on the screen on the dash. You can move the display from 100 feet to 5 miles distance. This is not like global maps, rather a guide to get you from point A to point B or show you where you are currently located.

10

Can i buy Navigation System for 2011 equinox car as gps.

19,815

GuruZD2VG, actually if you do not have a navigational system on your car, it will be an expense to install one post factory. We went on a driving trip up the West coast from So. California to BC Canada and back down through Idaho and back down. My wife used her i- pad navigational system and I used my i-phone haze app. It worked very well, and they have features the factory did not have. If you have a cell phone, consider the maze app, which is free, or the free i-pad map system. You should use a car charger as they eat up a battery quickly. You also need to get coverage because you can't count on wi-fi on the road. I have a GMC Terrain with the nav. system now, but I mostly use my wage on the phone, or my wife uses her i-pad because it has a larger screen. just a thought or suggestion.