I bought a car with bald tires, what can I do?

Asked by Oct 17, 2016 at 09:14 AM about the 2014 Toyota Camry

I bought my car off of cargurus.com. I found out the car has bald tires and should not have passed inspection. (9/17) What can I do? Isn't the dealership where I bought the car responsible?  Two were not passable and the other two barely passed, but advised to have them replaced by winter. I bought the car from EZAuto in Lewistown.

31,455

Didn't you take a close look at the vehicle before buying it? I think this is on you.

14,105

If you purchased it "ONLINE" , I don't know how you could have seen this without very detailed pictures or information provided? Pretty bad business to sell a vehicle from even a used car dealer and feeds the poor reputation of "used car dealerships".... Casts a pretty big shadow over everyone in this business..... NOT GOOD.

14,105

Follow up... purchase a ", used car" from a "New car dealership"... They have to maintain a high reputation because they sell new cars and don't want to ruin their good name ..,. And , go see the car and drive it yourself before making any deal... Sure, It's possible today to make any transaction online, but, I'm sure when you went to get the car you were surprised to discover the tires...., Correct?

14,105

Lastly, if you actually purchased the car "in person" and DIDN'T look over everything including the tires, then , Bob. Is absolutely correct....

31,455

If you purchased the car sight unseen then you should have had an independent third party do an inspection on the vehicle. Pretty sure that EZAuto in not a dealership. Always get things in writing when buying a vehicle and never trust a salesman or a used car dealer unless you have prior experience with them. Yes, there are some that are reputable, but I think most are there just to get into your wallet.

31,455

Also, you did not by your vehicle from CarGurus as they don't sell cars. Also CarGurus has no control as to the honesty of the parties that advertise vehicles for sale here.

56,715

Check with your local Motor Vehicle Agency. Some States do have laws to protect consumers against this type of thing. In New Jersey, for example, any car bought from any licensed dealership that is less than 10 model years old and has less than 100,000 miles on it must pass a State Motor Vehicle Inspection. If not, the dealer is liable for the repairs. I'm assuming that you're not in NJ because now they only inspect emissions on 1996 and newer cars and light duty trucks with exception to vehicles registered for commercial use. Commercial vehicles are subject to an annual safety and emissions inspection. Good luck with this!! HTH. -Jim

14,105

Read this and learn, http://www.cbsnews.com/news/buying-a-used-car-dont-make- these-wrong-turns/

The issue IS, In July 2016 two and a half months ago the car receive a valid inspection sticker through "9/17" and two of the tires were completely bald and two would barely pass which means only two met the minimum requirements. I BELIEVED the salesman when I quizzed about the tires. The tires had to be ok in order to pass inspection right?

Not one of you who answered addressed the question. You did not read what I wrote. I'm a 63 year old professional who got fucked over purchasing a car from EZAOTO Group LLC who advertised in Cargurus? Wherever you got I bought it online, or didn't look at it, or ask questions is not what I am asking you. Should I call and report the illegal Inspection to the state police? I was almost killed on I-95 in the pouring down rain from hydroplaning on fucking bald tires and I'm sick and tired of getting ripped off. You don't have to reply....your stupid, careless replies only pissed me off more.

56,715

Peggy, please understand that laws vary from State to State. Since the vehicle passed inspection two and a half months ago it's just your word against the inspection station's now. In court you have no evidence to prove your statements. Can you name the individual who inspected your vehicle? Who's to say that you didn't change the tires after you bought the car. Were you speeding or otherwise driving carelessly in bad weather causing you to hydroplane? Who knows. You can go ahead and report the alleged illegal inspection but I doubt you'll get anywhere with your claim now. Too much time has passed! I bought a car long distance back in 2012. I had the vehicle professionally inspected for $150. I knew it's flaws before deciding to buy it. You are the one who did not do your homework before buying. Why would you buy a two year old car from a used car lot to begin with? That should have been your first red flag! It being offered with no warranties either expressed or implied should have been your second, if that was the case. Authorized New Car Dealers have used car lots as well. Their used vehicles are a safer bet because they really do have to meet certain standards before being offered for sale. Vehicles that don't meet these standards are shipped off to auction, sold to little used car dealers, and eventually get sold to someone like you or me. Did you even bother to run a Carfax before you bought it? Probably not. I'm sorry, Peggy, but this is your mistake. Learn from it, buy new tires and move on. HTH. -Jim

Yes I ran carfax, but you know as well as I that is for only what is reported. Why did I buy this from a used car lot? It was advertised on your site, the mileage was low, the carfax report was clean and I had all my questions answered, and I was in need of a dependable car to drive to SC to see my grandson. I did not know this place did not sell brand new cars. I would not have known the implications of that anyway. Again how does Joe know this by an add on Cargurus. Tell me, the ordinary Joe can tell if tires are bald or 3/36 by a visual? This was not my first time driving in the rain. I have a clean driving record, and have never had an accident. Did you even bother to not be condescending. I may not get my tires replaced, but I do have statements from two different sanctioned facilities that can and did verify in writing the condition of the tires. Buy new tires and move on. I wish I could purchase new tires, but in my world they may as well be $100,000.

305

Always have an independent shop inspect a vehicle before purchase, not the same place selling it. Conflict of interest. Bald or new, water requires slower speeds, it is the drivers responsibility to drive within their own limits and the limits of the parts on the vehicle. If you buy or own a car with bald or crappy water evacuation, its up to you to replace them or not drive beyond their abilities. It doesn't matter what they where yesterday or a year ago, it is nobodys fault but your own after you signed and drove off and decided to drive in poor conditions.