Clutch/gear box problems...

20

Asked by Jun 12, 2014 at 12:39 PM about the 2011 Mazda MAZDA3

Hello,

I've run into a snag with my car (Mazda 3, TS2, 1.6 Diesel engine, manual, '11' plate).

I am unable to put it in gear while the engine is switched on. All gears plus revers are the same, it simply will not move into gear. However I can put it in gear while the engine is off, turn it on, then bring the clutch up to the bite point so the car moves. It has only done 30,000 miles and I'm not a boy racer.

The car is still waiting to be looked at in the garage, although the mechanic has already suggested the clutch has burnt out and is quoting silly prices. I'm a bit wary of this based on the low mileage, no burning smell, and lack of any prior warning.

Any ideas?

20

Also there is the usual amount of pressure required to press the clutch pedal - it hasn't gone loose.

1,145

Either the hydraulics (to the clutch) are faulty, or you have a broken pressure plate. I had a cracked p.p. diaphragm in one car I owned. I got worse and worse until I had trouble getting it into, or out of gear. The final straw was a red light I went through because the clutch would not engage. But it might also very well be low fluid, or some other hydraulic issue. Give me a cable actuated clutch any day. I'm not a fan of hydraulics, though I've owned a few.

40

Same problem happened to me 5 days ago. Also have Mazda 3 TS2 2011 reg with 22000 miles on the clock. Car is in the Mazda dealer waiting for mechanic to confirm the issue and it will not be untill july. Three weeks waiting??? Really upseting. Also they told me it is a clutch and I looked after this car very well becouse I bought it brand new from them. Clutch is not covered anymore by warranty so I can not get car replacement, but they did not even looked at the problem ,they just assuming it is a clutch. Very dissapointed by Mazda dealer. Dont know what to do,any help please? Also if you can write back if yours really was clutch gone if they looked at the car already. Thanks

20

Hello, Thanks for your answers. The plate was knackered and so was the flywheel. Took just over a week to identify and fix but there was an issue with sickness in the garage. Because I bought the car second hand I can't guarantee how the prev owner treated it, coupled with the fact that it was out of warranty period meant no free repair. On a positive though I got a small victory. The dealership quoted me two prices, the higher using genuine Mazda replacement parts, the lower using 3rd party stuff. I opted for the lower price but the garage then found the 3rd party stuff was incompatible so gave me the more expensive parts but charged the original lower quote. They also balanced the wheels and fixed the tracking for free as part of a general complimentary health check. There was also a free courtesy car while mine was in the shop. A little disappointed that it went wrong in the first place but quite happy with Cov Mazda's customer service.