2010 F150 cranks but won't start

Asked by Aug 08, 2016 at 09:06 PM about the 2010 Ford F-150

Talked to Ford Co. today (8/8/16) We need a large
group of people to call Ford to report the
issue...otherwise they won't see it as such a big
problem.  Reading this forum supports that it is a
big problem.  Please call 1-800-392-3673 and
report or register your problem to them!!!
PLEASE call so we can get this problem fixed!!!  
Thanks!

55,435

You need a large group of people to call Ford because your F-150 won't start? It is not a big problem as far as I can see.

180

Bob, I believe he is referring to a very specific problem which seems to have been going on in a lot of late model Ford/Mercury product. It is posted in several other threads on this site with no true resolution. The vehicle in questions starts having crank, no start issues and seems next to impossible to definitively diagnose. It now appears that it is linked to the fuel pump driver module. In some cases it manifests by overheating the fuse to the fuel pump relay which powers the fuel pump. I just successfully solved the issue on my 2009 F150 after months of random crank, no start episodes. Early on it manifests after the vehicle has set for about 6-8 hours. Late in the game it get even more unpredictable. Mine caused damage to the underhood fuse box. The fuse rarely blows, it just gets hot and melts the fuse casing and possible the fuse box.

180

Don't be a troll bob!

80

Thanks to LarryM70. I experienced my 2009 F150 5.4 V8 starting in the morning, drive to town and when the truck was turned off, it would not start for an hour. Here is the melted 20a fuse for the fuel pump relay. Duke@66749

85

Well it worked! Have a 2010 F-150' that would crank but wouldn't start. Have 91,000 miles and never had any problems till now. Found the 20 amp low profile fuse for the fuel pump relay, pulled it and it was fried. Replaced it with another one and it started right up. Saved me probably 200-300 dollars. Thanks, Scott Meadows

70

I just wanted to say thank you to you guys. I walked out of the store to my F150, 2010 and had the above listed problem. I thought what have I got to lose before I call a wrecker. Sure enough fuel pump relay fuse fried. Pulled the 20 amp from the trailer light relay slot. Truck started right up. Got to parts store. New fuse boom I'm running again. Thank you for being here and doing what you do.

80

happened to me too. 2015 F150.

60

I have to also add in BIG THANK YOU!!! My 2010 F150XLT wouldn't start and kept cranking over. I looked at the 20Amp Fuse for the Fuel Pump Relay and it was toast like the one in the above picture. You guys save me a lot of money. I used the 20amp Trail lights fuse as Spartacus 1000. Just Temporary. Thank Again.

235

Thanks to all of you for posting the "All crank and No start", being the fuse. My truck 2010 F150 XLT. It wasn't as fried as your pictures, it only had a little black dot and a slight discoloration on the plastic.

235

Does anyone know why this happened? I'm going to trace the wiring that goes to the fuel pump relay and to the fuel pump for any bare wires. I'll be back with my findings. I appreciate the help. Thanks again.

60

Where is this 20Amp Fuse for the Fuel Pump Relay located? My problem is intermittently

235

it's in the fuse box in the engine compartment, right up front next to the radiator. Its number 27. _ + _ _ _ _ This is #27. _ _ _ _ _ _

235

there are two rows of six, #27 is in the row closes to the cab.

60

Thanks Donald

235

The fuel pump driver module can be the cause for this, and you can find it above your spare tire.

60

Donald do you know the replacement of the fuel pump driver module replacement tech level?

235

I do not. I'll be doing it for myself. it looks pretty easy to change.

60

Larry - THANK YOU.. We've had the truck towed to the shop 3 times in the last two weeks.. F150 5.4 XLT first tow?? it sat before it was looked at.. and then it started.. kept starting the rest of the day.. second tow?? they replaced the fuel mod.. thinking this would fix the issue.. it started up and seemed resolved.. third tow?? it sat overnight and started up the next day.. week later - looking at tow number 4 til we read your post - fuse is fried - quite badly.. buying a new one as i type :D

60

..and $3.49 later.. success at last!!

130

My 2010 Ford F-150 XLT is experiencing this now. All crank, no start. Soon as I get a chance I'll check the fuse box. Does anyone know where I can go to view a diagram for the fuse box? Tom D.

40

This just happened to me as well for my 2010 F-150

130

Update to my crank but no start post 6 days ago- Found no blown fuse but 1 Relay seemed slightly loose. Gently wiggled and pushed in all fuses and relays. Also gently tapped on all with my fingertip. Truck started normally. All is well.

20

Just wanted to add my thanks as well! Just saved a trip to the dealer. Great information, well done.

20

Thanks everyone, same thing happened to my husband's truck. We were about to spend $100 to have a shop run some tests, but so happy I stumbled onto this website before going. Much appreciated!!!

30

Thank goodnessI took a minute to look and found this!! I too had the exact same problem. I have a 2010 F-150 with 95,000 miles. Just went out and had it not start even though it was turning over. Took your advice and fixed it easily. Thank you very much!

130

ATTENTION EVERYONE: FORD KNOWS ABOUT THIS FUSE BOX ISSUE AND ITS WITH THE 20A FUSE AND WIRING IN FUSE BOX FOR THE FUEL PUMP. DEALERS HAVE A KIT ON HAND TO REROUTE TO ANOTHER LOCATION THE FUSE AND POSSIBLY INCREASE THE WIRE SIZE AND POSSIBLY THE FUSE SIZE TOO. DEALER TOLD BE THERE IS NO RECALL YET SO THE REPAIR IS APOROX $415-$450. I'LL HAVE THEM DO IT TODAY, BUT THIS IS A COMMON PROBLEM AND I SERIOUSLY ENCOURAGE ANYONE HAVING THIS "CRANKS BUT WON'T START/RUN" PROBLEM WITH 2010 F-150 OR SIMILAR TO PLEASE CALL FORD CORPORATE AND INSIST THEY DO A RECALL TO FIX THESE TRUCKS.

20

Happened to my 5.4 ford f150 too the thing just died in an intersection. Thank you for this forum. Fuse was culprit

20

Just happened to me too. 2010 F-150 with 120K miles. Had trouble starting for about 2 weeks. Finally gave up on me yesterday, and thankfully I found this post! Yellow plastic of the fuse body was melted. Replaced it and good to go! Thank you very much to all who post and help others out!!!

40

Thanks, solved the problem on my 2010 F-150, 20amp fuse welded in fuse slot on one side.

25

I had the same issue yesterday with my 2009 Platinum, just hit 100k miles. Fuse 27, melted, but not blown. Thanks everyone for the sage advise, I'm back up and running. Will look into the retro fit / work around next.....!

130

Why isn't everyone calling Ford to complain this should be a recall issue???!!!

40

I called Ford, the gentleman I spoke will said, when I asked if there was a recall, he had not heard of this problem before, and there was no recall.

20

Just happened to me, I have F-150 2014. Thanks to this website I was able to locate the problem in my fuse box located in front of radiator.

30

Thank you all! I had this happen a few times in the last several months to my 2010 F150. Always started if I let it sit a few minutes. Today, after an hour of trying to figure out the problem and trying to start it finally did. Got it home, found this thread, checked the fuse. Melted so bad it broke in two when I pulled it out. Want to stress that it CAN manifest as an intermittent problem. Mine went months between incidents.

70

Same here guys. Dam truck would not start at times and I disconnected the positive battery cable to reset the computer thinking that was the problem. Sometimes it would fire after disconnecting the cable. Then it would just die going down the road on the Interstate going 70 mph towing a boat. WOW...this happen 3 times and talk about a dangerous situation trying to get out of the middle lane with heavy traffic. Nearly caused an accident. Lucky no one was injuried or killed in these incidents. Did not find this post until after I brought my 2010 Ford F150 V8 to the Ford dealer for this problem. I called the Ford complaint number at 1-800-392-3673 and reported this incident. Someone is going to be killed believe me. They need to recall all these trucks. They told me that there is no recall. This is BS. I quick fix is just to replace the fuse but that is BS. I value my life and that of other people that this issue may involve. Please report your problems or they will not do a recall. I am afraid to drive this vehicle as it is.

20

2009 F-150 123000 miles....same problem same fix...fuel pump relay fuse!

30

Same issue here. Had it on my 2013 raptor at 81k miles and now it's happening on my 2014 raptor at 69k miles

50

Mine wasn't so easy:). Fuse was good. 12v to fuse. Plug in fuse with ignition on and you can hear relay click. Swapped relay just to be sure. Dropped spare and checked FPDM. Unplugged to get to pins. With ignition on 12v goes to the purple/green wire. Top left facing me. However measuring across the 2 wires no 12v... There are 2 wires that come out of the harness that go straight to the chassis right next to the FPDM. Ohmed other wire and it is the ground path so makes sense. 70 bucks from ford. Worked:). This should not fail after 3 years and 50k miles....

70

It cost me $400.00 to get a by pass kit installed. Will be buying a Chevy next time!

20

All I can say is a big thank you to everyone!!! My 2010 F150 Platinum died two weeks ago, cranked and cranked. I disconnected the neg cable and reattached and it started. Today it happened again and nothing I tried worked. I googled "2010 Ford cranks but won't start" and found this thread. Needless to say, I replaced the fuse and I'm running. It is very important to note that it can be "INTERMITTENT" but the fuse is the problem. Thanks again!!!

70

I;m right there with your F-150 owners..Call FORD NOW!!!..1-800-392-3673 9/20/2017. In our 2013, 5.0, F-150 On a vacation trip traveling through Cookeville, TN to the Smokey Mountains going up a long steep grade on Interstate 40 at the 295 mile marker, in the left lane passing with a semi-truck in the slow lane......Bang!!! all of a sudden my truck hits 4000 rpm and quits dead as we were going up this hill with semi- truck on all sides, F-150 slows down to a dead crawl and I was able to pull through the traffic of semis. i thought we were going to have a full blown mass accident. Called AAA for a tow but no one able to pull a Truck and 5th Wheel together, I call around and State Trouper helped us locate tow company.Two hours later we were being haled to a camp ground to drop our 5th Wheel and then take the truck to Ford Dealership in Cookeville. TN...$300 tow.... Now the dealership does not have time to do diagnostic until the next day. They call and said it was a #27 fuse and that we needed a "Fuse relocation Kit". Great I thought, it only cost $19.89. for the parts...WRONG.... 2 1/2 hours labor, Shop supplies and Tax now totals $395.83 plus the $300 tow and the lost days at the RV park we had paid for now total about $900 for a $0.75 fuse.....very discerning about this great Ford F- 150.Now I wonder what else will go wrong.......and why Ford Motor Company thinks this is not something to be recalled. We could have been in a very major accident or even killed all for a $0.75 fuse...... No drama just facts. David Martin dmartin@murney.com Springfield MO.

30

Thank goodness for the site. I have a 2010 Ford truck with a 5.4 liter engine. I got in it this morning and it would crank but not start. Found this site and then checked my #27 fuse and sure enough it was fried. Replaced fuse and it started right up. I am going to call Ford on Monday.

70

Yes...everyone please call Ford and make a complaint for a recall. Somebody will be killed because of this issue.

20

Tommy here, Thanks . I just bought a 2013 F-150 with 85,000 miles on it, drove it 5 times and cranks but won't start, fuse 27 melted one side, I am calling Ford

70

Thanks Tommy for calling Ford Motor Co.1-800-392-3673, My Case is CAS-13170203. I found out there is a TSB 15-0137 sent to the Dealerships about this problem. I am in contact with a corporate Ford Service Manager to develop an action plan. Not sure what that entails but I'm going to push for some kind of resolve with Ford Motor Company because we were almost in a horrific accident on Interstate 40 because of this problem of a $0.50 fuse killing the engine.......

20

Thank you for the post! This happened on my F150 Raptor as well. My mechanics couldn't figure out the problem, but I found this post and replaced the fuse. No issues now, much appreciated!

70

Thanks for everyone that is calling in to get something done before someone is killed.

20

Same here. My wife and I are camping in Pigeon Forge. We venture out to explore the area. When we stopped for shopping we returned to our 2009 F-150 the engine turns over but will not start. I’m out of town, Its Sunday so all repair shops are closed. Starting to get concerned about what I will do. After about an hour I try and it starts. Made my way back to the campground and googled “ My 09 F-150 will turn over but not start” it took me straight to this thread and yes my fuse was fried. Thank you all for the help. I WILL BE CALLING FORD TOMORROW,,,,,,,

60

My high school daughter was driving our 2010 F150 on the way to school today and it failed in the left turn lane, at a busy intersection and it would crank but not start. People were honking their horns and my daughter missed classes. I had the vehicle towed to a garage and they said it was likely the fuse issue mentioned above and they are looking for a bypass kit. This is a SAFETY ISSUE! I too will be calling FORD TOMORROW.....

30

Same thing happened to my 2010 F150, checked fuse and was fried on one side. Reported to Ford, they said no open recalls, but they would register the call. They didn't indicate that there was a TSB on the problem. My concern is what is the root cause of the problem, fuses dont just burn up for no reason, also why did the fuse not blow.

60

I called ford at 800 392 3673 and reported the issue. They indicated that I should keep the receipt of the repair (cost $360) in case there is a recall or compensation. They indicated that that my report would be sent to the agency that reviews these items for potential recalls.

60

I filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

70

Thank You AredTruckF150...I have also made a complaint with them and this is their email address: nhtsa.webmaster@dot.gov and please evryone make a complaint before someone is killed. This is what I emailed: There is a serious issue with Ford Pick Up trucks that needs to be addressed before someone is killed. I know I have been nearly killed twice because of the issues. It involves the fuse melting the fuel pump relay on certain Ford motors and models while your driving down the road and left with no control of your vehicle. Numerous people have had this same issue and its very dangerous and Ford has not recalled the issue. I paid Ford $400 for a by pass kit that they built to resolve this issue. It might be to late for some Ford owners and they will find themselves in a dangerous situation. I have attached a Forum site with everyone having the same issue as me and they also indicate that this needs to be recalled by Ford NOW. Thank You and will be waiting for your response. Gregory Ollila

10

Same thing happened to my 2010 F-150 last week.

10

Glad I found this as well. Unfortunately I have the same issue as tree62, fuse is fine but has been having more no start issues lately. He stated he checked the wires and found no 12v from one and fixed it with $70 part. Can anyone tell me if that is just the wiring fix or was FPDM bad, doubt the latter would only be $70? I will be calling Ford and possible report to NHI. Thanks for the info everyone.

50

Yes the fuel pump d I’ve module is only 70 bucks f on ford. It’s easy to change. Drop your spare tire and remove the wires and the unit. The 2 wires going to the frame are the 12v ground return. Don’t use an aftermarket for that price a read some posts where they don’t ground correctly and do not work

30

After a couple of conversations with local dealer, who was unaware of the problem, they found the fuse panel upgrade kit. I bought both of the parts, but only installed the fuse upgrade, and that seems to have resolved the problem. On the 2010 model the fuel pump controller is all plastic, therefore may not have the corrosion problems of earlier models. I have attached pics of the part number for fuse replacement kit, in case your dealership is not familiar with the problem.

10

So glad I found this post. 2010 f150 with 100k miles. It started doing it intermittently about 5k miles ago. Thanks for the help, saved me a tow and God knows what at the repair shop!!

many thank yous to all of you guys for the help on that fuse.been chaseing this problem for 2 months.its in my bosses 2010 f150 and it was that #27 burnt fuse. Tim at united construction in newport newhanpshire,

I was not that lucky. Same issue, truck suddenly would not start, just cracked away. good battery. tried a new fuse. Same issue. Will try dropping spare tire tomorrow morning. Ugh. 2011 f-150 only 40K on it. Doug Austin Texas