Door ajar light and fuel system issues...

Asked by Feb 25, 2013 at 09:10 PM about the 2004 Hyundai Sonata

Recently my door ajar light comes on and my interior lights flicker on amd off when all the doors are closed. I have checked all the latches and screws and nothing is missing. Maybe something isnt connecting when I close passenger door. How would I fix this cheaply?
Also after I put gas in my car it does not want to start. i have to keep giving it gas and slam in in drive to go. Sometines it still goes dead. So now I leave it running while I pump gas and I can hear the pressure release when I open the cap but also the car sputters as Im pumping gas like it wants to go dead. I first thought I had gotten bad gas, i put fuel cleaner in it and it still does it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The gas tank thing has a couple of mechanics stumped as well..

Train a hose on your battery, then scrub away all the corrosion too. Dont forget the ground wire to the chassis, and to the engine. You will be happy and runnin normal then.

19,035

door lights flicker, fix cheaply thats my specialty, find the button that the door contacts when closed,push it in ,light should go off,wiggle it see if stays off,ok try all other the same way ,look for loose button or button that dont contact door from damage ,one is not been pushed quite far enough ,no luck? put thick tape on door area that contacts button to push in farther,most buttons pop out ,find the bad one and unplug wires and tape ends if needed,rendered off cheaply yeah thats what im talkingabout the gas thing, does it sit and run nice without the cap off after a minute or two,,if yes then removing the cap is doing something,but what?first id try a nother cap , if not it take it back,refund same as. then id say the evap system ,aclog with mud ,or check valve ,its elaberate and you never heard evap no doubt talk evap later good day my flend

Thanks guys. You are awsome!! Put some tape on the door thingy and its holding for now. YAY! Now on to the gas thing, The battery was about run completly down when this started so I did go ahead and clean it and put on a new battery.It runs fine when I drive it or its just idleing and if I take the cap off after I start it. It only does this when I get gas. I have changed the gas cap and it didnt help. ?? This evap system thing sounds like it way over my head. :( Thanks for all your help.

well not so much...near to the entrance of the fuel cap is a small hole for the vapors to go....well we don't want any vapors in the atmospere so we capture them in a charcoal canister that vents to the combustion chamber thru the intake to act like fuel laden air on acceleration....on deceleration, there is an evil little device called the EGR, exhaust gas recirculation device, what takes you exhaust gas and puts it right back into the intake...thinking that is just that much less pollution...wha?, anyhow this device gets jammed with carbon, and your engine cannot breathe, because it's suckin' exhaust, rather then a nice air/fuel mixture. Your smog guy would spot trouble with this device in a heartbeat.

the reason your 'check engine' light comes on as positive/negative pressure drives these devices, without a cap is like taking the crippled guy's crutches away. Needs to contain any fumes...these guys are obsessive about it....especially the Japanese who will go to great extremes to make sure every device is installed and working properly.

19,035

would assume if a fuel tanks not working in conjuntion with the evap,the engine light is on,no biggie ,therefor by removing the cap from a cold start and let engine adjust to new paramiters it may settle to no difference ,then just vent cap and leave light onfor now 1/3 cars around my area are like that now for sure

your description of the problem sounds like a bad EGR.

My Dad has a 2013 sonata with 3 k and the had to replace the fuel sensor and the fuel pump

I had the same problem with my car not starting after I put in gas and I had the purge valve replaced and have not had any more problems since!