Key stuck in the igniton

Asked by Robin Sep 25, 2017 at 09:46 AM about the 2006 Hyundai Sonata

How can I get my key out of the ignition switch to a
Hyundai sonata

180

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!! WHAT'S THE ANSWER BEYOND THE $500 THAT THE HYUNDAI DEALERSHIP IS CHARGING ME. HELP!

590

Wiggle the shifting lever. If it isn't in all the way in park it won't come out. I have to wiggle it from side to side sometimes!

220

there is a micro switch that may need adjusting. YouTube has the tutorial for other years but not the 2009. I am having that problem right now. If anyone knows where the micro switch is for that year please let me know, because that should fix it.

90

I have the same problem with my 2008 Hyundai sonata, and apparently, 19 other consumers have that issue, however Hyundai motor America in fountain valley, California refuses to acknowledge this problem persists...

150

It just happened to me for the first time since 2006. I finally solved the problem by pushing the key deeper than usual and it started turning immediately... First attempt. I don't know why.

120

I am having the same problem. I have a 2006 Sonata. It gets stuck in the ACC position and it takes forever to get it out. I’ve noticed, and I haven’t read about anyone else having this issue, but it only happens when the weather is warm. Never happens in the winter. Anyway, I spent $300 because a mechanic told me I needed a new ignition switch. That didn’t change a thing.

260

a quick fix is to take the yellow fuse from the fuse box when you want to take the key out. but you will need to replace the microswitch under the shifter as a long term solution. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpSTOyObMsI&t=59s

160

This is a belated response but for anyone googling this...The fix was even easier for my 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe. The shifter looked like it was in "Park" but it wasn't exactly sitting right I guess. Once I started up the car again, shifted in and out of drive and jiggled the knob around a bit, then back into Park, I was able to turn the ignition all the way off and the key popped right out as normal. So try that first before pulling fuses or tearing open your dash!

40

I have a 2009 Hyundai sonata that has now had the problem twice over 6 years. When my wife drove the car and pulled into the driveway the key would turn the car off but will not come out of the ignition. The car will not go into park or reverse. I jiggled the key for quite some time no results. I turned the wheel at the same time. I started and stopped the car. I jiggled the shift nob. Finally, I started the car and put it into neutral and let the car roll backward. It would then shift into park and the key came out. The first time I had the problem six years ago I replaced the ignition switch. This solved the problems for 6 years. I have ordered the part again. The part is only $14. Amazon part Genuine Hyundai 93110- 3K000 ignition switch. For the 2009 Sonata it is a simple fix right under the dash board. Be very careful to remove the old one slowly so that the tumblers do not move. I would have the new part in hand before you remove the old. I made the mistake of pulling the old one out and then taking it to the store and getting a new one. By the time I got back the inside tumblers had moved and it took me a long time to get the new one to line up with them. You cannot see into them from under the dash and have to do it by feel. With this part you will still be able to use your old keys.

110

2013 Hyundai Sonata here. Same thing happened and I followed instructions with shifting different gears, driving forward a bit, putting it in park, and the key finally released.

20

Hello everyone hoping I can help. I work at a Hyundai dealer and I know 2011 and up has issues with the transmission range switch which is on top of the transmission that the shifter cable connects to. If you have to wiggle the shifter to get the key out chances are that’s what’s it. Most of the time we can’t duplicate it at the dealership because it is intermittent and we don’t like “throwing parts at it” to hope that fixes the issue that you’re having and we are not. Hope this helps!

20

This suddenly started happening to me today and nothing worked. Finally someone at my job looked up a video and found an ignition type of fuse in the box under the steering wheel and we had to pull that out for it to release. I've had to do it now 3 times today :(