i have a 1990 honda accord lx and the S light on the dash kept flashing what does it mean and how can i fix it?

25

Asked by Jun 27, 2007 at 02:49 PM about the 1990 Honda Accord

i was driving along after i bought some gas and i was on the highway doing about 75 and then my S light starts flashing and when i got off the highway and parked turned off the car and turmned it back on it stopped what does the S mean and what can i do to fix it?

32,705

If you read the answer to the following it will describe what the S light is and show diagrams. http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1f/bl189f.htm I hope this helps.

120

I have had this S light blinking problem very intermittently. Typically, the car does not want to accelerate and, before I realize what's going on, I shut off the car, restart it, and all is fine. I understand, in concept, what you are proposing, but it is unclear to me if you have to jump that plug when the problem is occuring, which to me, means the engine is still running, or if you're saying that, once the problem has occured at some time in the past, you can test it any time later. Worse yet, now my daughter is driving it so I'm not likely to have access to the car precisely when the problem recurs. Your mention of putting the ingition ON suggests the test is started when the car is off. But how would I know if the problem is there when the car is off? It seems to happen only when the car is on. Also, your diagram of the AT control unit is very pretty and all, but I have no idea where to find it, or if I even need it until after I've read the code. Thanks so much for your help, but I'm a slow learner. Dean

120

Also, I think some have said this plug is on the side kick panel which, I assume, is on the side of the car, whereas others have said its under the carpet near the front of the car, though it is not clear if it is up higher or down lower. Which is it for a 1990 accord? Also, I've seen reference to blinking LEDs on the TCU and I forget what else, whereas others say to check the S light and the check engine light for codes. Kindly clarify all this. Thanks again. Dean

Contact Honda they may put you in touch w one of their techs. A competent transmission shop could put you in the know w a scan that way your are fixing one thing not fifteen.