How do you turn on the Bluetooth in the 2009 Prius?

10

Asked by Jan 30, 2015 at 09:22 AM about the 2009 Toyota Prius

My bluetooth on the phone is working, but the bluetooth on the car is off and I cannot get
it turned back on.The screen is blanked out so I cannot hit any buttons.  I go to
telephone, settings, bluetooth and that's as far as it goes; even the auto connect is not
highlighted.  So, I need to have the car's bluetooth turned back on...any suggestions?

14,105

Cynthia, we have a 2009 Prius, but, I would say that the electronic controls are not as well documented in the owners manual, and the voice controls are impossible. Now to your question, you need to first pair your phone to the car. Go to information, its a button on the dash screen, next find telephone, look for the settings button on the screen. Select Bluetooth, make sure your phone is on Bluetooth before you do this. After you select and press Bluetooth on your screen, next look for the Register button, press that and it's going to look for your phone and give you a number to enter into your phone, so, get ready to do that fast. Once you enter that four digit number it will pair your phone and either give it a name or just call it Prius. The good news is this, once you've got it paired, the car will remember and every time you start your car with your phone on Bluetooth it will automatically advise you that your connected. Then, you can answer calls directly by pushing the button on the center screen that will illuminate with the incoming call. Also adjusing the volume, disconnecting etc. is easy. Also, you can pair another phone. If you do that, there's a button to "select phone", if you want to change phones, otherwise, leave it on yours. And, the audio quality of calls in the Prius are quite good! We have the package 5 car with navigation integrated and I like it. I'm still trying to figure out the voice commands, a little more confusing and challenging, I don't like that. My 2010 Subaru Outback Limited was much easier to use for voice calling. When I asked our local Toyota dealership about voice commands, they just brisked and shrugged their shoulders in despair telling me that it's not the best feature of the 2009 model and suggested that a newer model would be easier. Didn't give me a lot of confidence that I could get this done quickly. I'm still going to try, but, mostly everything else about the car works all right. By the way, all of this information is on page 274 of your owner's manual. Good luck.

Best Answer
14,105

Cynthia, one more thing, you can also "name" a phone or in some cases it will just give you a name or recognize the name of your phone. I have a Nexus 5 phone and it automatically populated that name for me.

10

Thank you, Mark, this is a big help and I'm going to print them and put them with the owner's manual. I appreciate you doing this. Cynthia

14,105

Cynthia, you're welcome. If you could please mark my answer as best, that would be great. We have 61,000 miles on our Prius and so far its been a great car. Hopefully, you're enjoying your car as well and it's giving you good service.

this is also happened with me u just need to stop car at one place and try again dont do in running car

14,105

Yeah, they won't let you make adjustments when the car is moving for safety reasons. For some reason, I noticed that sometimes the blue tooth handshake doesn't work. In this case, pull over , restart the car and or the phone and it should pair up again. A larger more annoying problem is the voice dialing in the 2009 Prius, it doesn't work well.

10

I have a 2015 prius 3 and the bluetooth was working flawlessly however just a couple of days ago it just shuts off and I cannot get it to turn on. I shut the car off and turn it on and it comes on for a moment then shuts off.

10

That's my fear of upgrading my phone (I have an embarrassingly old flip phone) and I don't think it would work with the new Prius models. My 2009 only has 38K miles and it runs like a dream. The bluetooth finally got it working, I had to delete out the other phones and then it connected. Maybe you can try that if there are any other phones registered to the car's bluetooth.

14,105

106Cynthia- we have the 2009 Prius, and have 66,000 miles, still runs great, but, car is hard on tires, our first set replaced at 34,000, now at 66,000 we need another set...Turns out, the suspension is not that good, a wheel bearing went out at 58,000, shocks and struts needed replacing at 63,000 and the weak suspension caused the second set of tires to get "cupped", flat spots which is why we need a third set... Original, plus two replacements, NOT good.. Oh, we've NEVER been able to call a number by voice command. Dealership told us that the 2009 electronics were not that good and recommended that I consider a newer model... REALLY???? I was very angry when I heard that...

14,105

My 2010 Subaru Outback works brilliantly with voice commands.

10

Hi, Mark, Thank you for replying and I am sorry to learn the problems you're having. So far, so good with ours.I would think as technology advances, our 2009 Prius is going to be out of step with technology but not enough to make me turn it in for a newer model. I'll try the voice command with my Prius and let you know if it works.

14,105

Cynthia- yes, let me know.. My wife and I test drove a Prius on vacation for a week. We got 50 mpg, and were very impressed. When we decided to purchase the 2009, we decided on the navigation system, upgraded audio and blue tooth technology.. One of the best features of the car is the fuel tank, which is really a flexible bladder, it's called a "blivet". They're used on airplanes, no kidding, and the fuel bladder actually shrinks like a baby bottle leaving no air pocket as it gets empty.. This is a really great safety feature, because most rear end collision accidents with an explosion involve a car that was almost empty and had a large air pocket. Unfortunately, Toyota decided to cut corners and put a conventional gas tank in the 2010 model and newer cars.. We also rented a 2015 Prius last year and discovered that the angle of the windshield cuts a sharper angle reducing head room in the front passenger compartment.. I'm not very tall and kept hitting my head on the headliner and getting into and out of the car. Not very comfortable and I can no longer recommend this car... In the meantime, the 2009 is fine, except for the tires and electronics. My mechanic told me that Toyota did a great job on the engine and transmission, plus a lot of other components, but, they cut corners on the suspension etc. Otherwise, the car can easily go 200,000 to 250,000 miles.. Good luck with your car.. By the way, we have over 66,000 miles and the original brakes.... Finally, I have not heard any problems with the hybrid system or battery....

10

Hi, Mark, I have tried and tried to make the phone work through the voice activation system, and it just "stalls". You have to be in "telephone" and then hit the voice activation (person's head) and the voice will come on to "say a command"; you say the number or the stored number, it repeats, tells you to lift the receiver and just nothing happens. Very frustrating because this is probably the only way to dial while driving.

10

Is it just me, but the initial question- which we share- is that the bluetooth power toggle is OFF and cannot return it to ON. I don't see that the answer was related to getting it back to ON. Same here. all was going smoothly, but inexplicably, the system wasn't pairing. We removed all of the devices to start anew, but no dice. then we noticed that the bluetooth power is OFF. With the handbook, we found the page to turn it on, but the toggle is not existent; the box is empty and therefore cannot be touched to turn on Bluetooth.

14,105

PandB-. It might not be an option in your particular car.... these cars came with so many iterations....