Oil burning 1qt every 700miles

Asked by Oct 22, 2014 at 12:34 AM about the 1988 Isuzu Trooper

I apologies if this post has been started before but I have an 88 trooper that consumes about a quart every other fill up. I've read that this is a common issue with this era as the source lies in the engine's design, too few oil return ports/ return ports sludge up/ leaky rings. I can’t seem to find any sure fire fix to the issue aside from a rebuild/ swap with newer year engine. I've also read about pulling the plugs and seafoaming it overnight to try and clean up those ports, I've also read flushes seem to help. Has anyone tried anything else with much luck?? Please help!!

37,705

There's not much you can do that you haven't listed. Do the math. It's cheaper to just add the oil then to do most of the remedies.

Thanks for your response. Naturally, I'd like to not have to worry about it. Is there anything else about this car I should know about? Reliability issues coming up. 167k on the dial currently. I'm heading back to school and I just want to keep this thing running. Have you experienced anything wonky?

113,805

I had 1 once upon a time, the biggest problem I had was the blasted door hinges, it rains a lot out here and every 2 to 3 months the hinges would start creaking, tried anti seize compound, white lube, marine lube worked the best except for the mess. Power train seemed really good except for a whine in the gear box, never got too loud so I didn't worry much about it, threw a rod one day while climbing a steep grade out by where I used to live, so I just scraped it after that.

Thanks for your answers and time, really appreciate it.