rocker arms duratek motor

Asked by Jun 27, 2011 at 12:37 PM about the 2000 Ford Taurus

how hard is it to put in rocker arms w/o removing cams or will it be futile?

sorry,if you think you need new rocker arms,you got bigger problems,not knowing the syptoms,if knocking spun rod bearing,bad oil pump.

ive worked on cars for years and thats why this has me stumped. the rockers cracked in half on the intake valves 2 broke completly in 2 and the rest were cracked the car had great oil pressure and didnt spin a main. i have just never seen (especially the roller type) break like that before. Its my ex wifes car and some guy was gonna put a timing chain on it and i told her to let me look at it and thats what i found. to be more specific its a duratek 3.0 rockers run off the cam lobes. no push rods in this motor.

yea know their is no push rods,theses motors are junk,if it was run hot that will crack them,i have seen them crack for no reason.also if her boyfriend put a timeing set in it,chances are it was out of time and that led to the damage.

the timing set is all new (well a year old) i did it myself so i know its good thats why i didnt want the idiot touching the car. now the running hot part may have caused it but as far as i know it hasnt.i know its not a timing issue 110%. im not a backyard mechanic either I have 5 ASE certs, have worked for GM, Honda, and Chrysler. just dont mess too much with the fords. regardless im gonna replace the rockers without doing that it will be impossible to diag. any other issues its having. just wanted to know if there was a way without tearing the front of the motor down to get them in. any advice???

yea im ase also 35 years,for ford mostly,no you going to have to tear it down,the duratek engins is just about a PITA to work on as the GM 2.4 double overhead cam engines.good luck. never said you was a back yard mechanic.just wanted to clear that up.

i know i just wanted to let ya know that i did have a level of skill and wasnt just wanting to jerry-rig the car. the timing set was a PITA and i really didnt wanna tear it all down again but if i have to i guess i have to. at least its gonna be a nice weekend. thanks for the info and have a happy 4th

yea,it will have to be took down,hay if it is a duel cam motor it has no rockers.i dont think.is it duel over head cams.

it is and it does not rockers like in a chevy 350 or anything but it has a roller piece that operates the intake valves off the cam lobes maybe i called them by the wrong name but my local autozone has them check them out for yourself the AZ part # mr-950 and here is the link to the page.. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Melling-Rocker-Arm/_/N-jehiyZ8znaz? itemIdentifier=216949_28199_0_