I replaced fuel pump and car still wont start

60

Asked by Jan 09, 2016 at 04:14 PM about the 1997 Dodge Caravan

Pump is running but fuel not making it to
fuel rail checked at purge valve no fuel to
slight trickle

60

Could it be air in lines

7,015

If the pump is running and not pushing it to the fuel rail either their is a restriction such as a plugged filter or it isn't picking up fuel from the tank.

Best Answer Mark helpful
60

Could I have done something wrong when installing to cause it to not pick up fuel from tank?

7,015

In tank fuel pumps have a sock style filter on their bottom that if not there a new pump can burn out quickly. If it is a replacement pump and not the whole assembly like the factory unit the hose from the pump to the housing can come off under pressure and spray all the fuel back into the tank. Lastly, but not to assume things since its easier to pull a tank without fuel in it does it have enough gas to reach the bottom of the fuel pump?

60

It should it's reading over an 8th of a tank and it is whole assembly with screen unless I bent the float an gauge isn't reading correctly

60

So I'll add more gas and see if that does it and get a new fuel filter I didn't see the fuel filter do you know where it's located?

7,015

unfortunately its part of the fuel lines on top of the tank. Also one of these lines could kink or pinch when the tank was re-installed, not likely but is possible.

60

So I have to let the tank down again to replace fuel filter

60

Well thank you for your help I was going to try to hot wire the relay so the pump would stay on and hold the purge valve open until I removed all air and had solid stream of fuel but that may have been a really bad idea not to mention I'm not sure how to do that I've seen it done to drain tank at line before filter someone else told me that there might just be air in line and to have someone cycle key while I hold purge valve open but that wasn't working I thought because the pump shuts off after not receiving signal from crank but you don't agree? If you do how would I hotwire pump on

7,015

Cycling the key a few times is enough to purge all air from the lines. Only Diesels and dome of the new direct injection gas engines are sensitive to a little air. Going off what you've done and stated, You seem to be certain that the only problem is the fuel delivery. What led you to replace the pump and have you checked the other things that are needed air and fire?

60

When the pump first went I checked all that and when I knew it wasn't getting fuel I checked if the pump was kicking on and it wasn't so I wacked the tank and it kicked on an ran for a while then it would only stay on if I kept wacking it

60

Finally it quit all together I expected this to happen because my wife constantly ran it on E therefore causing it to run hot I mean she ran out of gas on a regular basis and it had no other issues and the pump kicks on everytime now so I was sure the pump was the problem

60

I'm not sure if did something wrong on the installation like you said kinked a line or broke something I did it on the ground and didn't take the tank all the way out just lowered it enough to access the pump it was tight and the float hooked on the outside of the tank so I'm a little worried I bent it so it may not give an accurate reading and there wasn't a spot where the O ring sat snug so I just made sure it stayed inplace as best I could while I secured the pump