What is the average lifespan of an engine in a 99 dodge grand caravan, sport?

Asked by Jun 10, 2013 at 05:16 PM about the 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan

My timing chain went out and 7 out of
10 mechanics said to get a new
ebgine put in because it has a little
over three hundred thousand miles on
it. I dont want to fix the timing chain if
it only has another twenty thousand
miles to go. 500 dollars, 4 years. Ive
got my monies worth.

1,025

that would probably all depend on how it has been driven and if (other than the timing chain) the engine is mechanically sound. I've seen dodge caravans go over 400,000 before but their owners kept them VERY WELL maintained. without looking at it it's hard to say. if 7 out of 10 mechanics are telling you to get another engine dropped in it. I'd probably go ahead and do it because then you know everything is new where as if you just fix the timing chain and something else goes down the line... Those trips to the garage can at up pretty quick. Just be sure to take into account, the condition the rest of the vehicle is in and how the transmission was working before doing anything. Keep in mind that the vehicle is 14 years old and ask yourself "is it economically viable to fix it or get a new/newer vehicle?".

78,085

Personally I'd get rid of it. A friend from work just had his engine removed to replace leaking freeze plugs on his '97 Ford Ranger. Basically they removed the engine, replaced the freeze plugs, then reinstalled the same engine. That was about 3 months ago. Since then the check engine light has come on repeatedly and now his intake manifold is leaking coolant, or so his mechanic says. He's now trying to sell the truck knowing he probably won't get back out of it the money he just spent. I'd definitely say you got your $500.00 worth out of your Grand Caravan. Quit while you're ahead & move on. You obviously picked a winner last time, you can do it again!! HTH. -Jim

113,675

1999 if you really like it then fix it and drive it till it falls apart. If not then unload it and buy another vehicle. You got your moneys worth out of that one.

10

300k is awesome! Unfortunately that's like riding a 90yr old horse. I'd put it out to pasture before it leaves you stranded.

10

If you are an expert don't need to read this, but I'm sure somebody could benefit from those lines below. Just trying to help. I used to work in the cars market when I was young and for many years I was a sales manager in a car maker dealership. That some how gave me some experience when it comes to buy or sell. So I always buy and sell my vehicles privately and get good deals. Every car I've had so far has turned out great. If you buy a used vehicle, you have to know what to look for. If you buy it new, it's harder because they pretty much give you what they have so you are a little bit under their control. Unfortunately, for some reason that I haven't figured out yet, and I don't want to think bad (that it's on purpose...conspiracy theory), but some cars just come like that from the factory, defective. They won't tell you, but you will always have problems with them while some other vehicles of the same brand and model, will come out perfectly fine. And you'll love them. The history of the vehicle won't always tell you the reason, because it's also up to the owner, the maintenance and driving habits that will affect the life of the car. It's a good rule of thumb to say 300,000 is the mark to retire them, but you can make them last longer, with a good care. Just like our bodies. Knowing about mechanics would help, as one defective part can cause other damages if not fixed soon. A minor little tiny thing can create a big huge and very costly problem. So that combination of maintenance and driving habits is what will determine how long it will last. Now, to determine whether you can keep it or not depends on what you need the vehicle for. The more you use it, the more load it carries, and the worst off the road, or bad roads you drive on will speed up the wear and tear of the parts and therefor its useful life. You can change some parts, but there are other parts that you don't see, and can't really change, that's why it starts breaking constantly here and there all the time. The weather is another factor, the terrain. Both damage the chassis and lower parts really badly. The snow rusts everything that touches in time.From the accounting point of view, when it comes to a used car, a good deal is when the car is around 200,000 K because if it's over 300,000 then very soon it will start breaking down or falling apart. So it's a bigger risk. No need to mention that 0 k or 100,000 is still great.

10

My Town and Country 2002 van I have just crossed the 475000 mile mark and it runs like a champ so I don't know if that's a wreck or what but it still running fine