2001 Dodge Neon will turn over but won't catch, help?

10

Asked by Jan 07, 2013 at 09:13 AM about the 2001 Dodge Neon

So here goes, I hope I can find a solution on here. I have a 2001 Dodge Neon 2.0 with 140,000 kms on it. It was working fine, parked it for the night, the next morning it just failed to catch when I turned it over. Since then I have replaced Cam Sensor, Oxygen Sensor, Coil, checked spark, has great spark. Check Fuel Pump, lots of fuel getting thru, even added more fuel just in case the guage was broken, tore it apart yesterday and checked the timing belt, thats all good too. The only code I got was a fuel too lean code. I am ready to blow this thing up. Any ideas??? The only other issue I has with this car in 3 years was the power steering tensioner went about a month before this recent problem, fixed that with no problem now this.

1,575

if you've got fuel and spark, it should at least pop. shoot a bit of starting fluid in the throttle body to see if it will even pop or try to start. i'm thinking the injectors may not be firing. you said you replaced the cam sensor, did you do the crank sensor as well?

10

Thanks Justin, I have not done the crank sensor but will do that one and try the starting fluid trick.

615

YOU MAY WANT TO CHECK FOR PLUGGED UP CATALYTIC CONVERTER,BEFORE REPLACING ANY MORE PARTS? GENERIC ONES COST ABOUT $100.00, AT 140,000 KMS THATS MY OPINION.

what do you mean by it wont catch, is the starter not engaging the flywheel or is it turning over the block but not starting?

295

I agree, starting fluid. Always test before you throw parts at a vehicle. That's the expensive way to fix it.

1,705

If you're getting a lean code, you may have an air leak after the mass air flow sensor. The proper way to check this is with the engine running and an alternative fuel source (a spray can of brake clean, etc... at our shop we use propane). Spray the alternative fuel around the intake, on vacuum hoses and lines, etc. Alternatively, did you check the timing alignment marks on the cam and crankshaft? I also agree with a proper diagnosis before throwing parts at a car... It's kind of a waste of money... I also disagree with throwing parts at a car... It's hard on the paint...

10

So I know this was three years ago but I'm having the same problem with my dodge neon same year everything did you ever find the problem with it?

I was told my timing belt and water pump needed replacement. My car is making knocking noise and it ran hot. I already replaced cooling system... radiator, hoses and thermostat. I changed the Harmonic Balancer and TBS and some other sensor