2002 Grand Caravan A/C issue..

20

Asked by Jul 30, 2015 at 10:54 AM about the 2002 Dodge Caravan

Hi Folks, 1st question here..

I had the compressor/clutch replaced on my 2002 GC and my mechanic went to
recharge the system..The AC button-switch on the HVAC control panel 'seems' to
engage but the clutch doesn't kick in. He's got about 1 pound in the system..no clue as
to pressures on high/low sides.

The light on the switch is on, but no joy on the clutch engaging.

He thinks the HVAC control panel needs replacing..based on the fact that the switch is
a bit froggy..you have to toggle it a bit to get the light on the (snowflake) switch to turn
on..

I've been taking my cars to this guy for 25 years and trust him completely..everyone in
the area loves his work and his prices are honest and excellent..

Before I go and dive into a new Control Panel I figured I'd do some research..so..any
thoughts on this?

Thanks.

16,810

The high pressure switch that is screwed into the accumulator and has two wires going to it maybe bad. The clutch will not come on if this switch is bad.

20

Hi Firebird, thanks. Where, or, what is the accumulator? Is this part of the compressor? If get under the car I can see one snap connector going into the compressor/clutch housing.

16,810

It is connected to the A.C system under the hood just follow the A.C lines and they will come to a canister close to the fire wall. Can not miss it because the wires going to it also has the fitting to charge the system with freon.

16,810

It has wires going to it to the pressure switch.

16,810

If you locate the switch sometimes with the A.C system on you can tap on the switch with the end of a screwdriver and if it the compressor come on replace switch.

20

hi Firebird..I tried tapping the HP switch ..no luck there. I think I need to test the compressor..do you have any instructions on jumping the relay for the compressor clutch in the fusebox? Which pins I should jump? Anyone?

16,810

Sometimes that works now you want to unplug HP and jump the connections with a jump wire in other words one end of wire in the connector from wire and the other end to the other wire. If this works this is what you have to do to charge system and once charged remove jump wire and plug back into switch.

16,810

If this does not work by jumping the switch check the fuse and if that is ok your mechanic may be right about the dashboard switch.

20

Fire, Fuses are good, for sure..Clutch relay..no clue. Not really sure which points to jump to which..that's my issue on that. wishing also for info on jumping the Clutch relay..... Dodge Grand Caravan 2002. Maybe someone will chime in

16,810

Just got in contact with a friend if he got the message he will chime in and try to help you as well. His web site name is FordNut.

16,810

Just did some more research on where the A.C pressure switch is on your vehicle it is not on the accumulator it is located in the right rear corner of the engine compartment in the liquid line ( that is the small line ) of the system. It has two wires going to the line that is how you tell you have the right switch. If you do found the switch do the same thing I suggested tap on switch and see if compressor comes on. If not disconnect connector from switch and use a jump wire on connector.

143,355

Good morning folks. Looking in to this now...to make sure I have the right solution.

143,355

Ok... to begin with you do NOT have to replace the entire HVAC control panel. That's just silly. You can get the switch that will connect to panel for $34

143,355

But after much research and reading ....it does sound like that switch really is the culprit. I don't know if this will help any, is what it is.. click for full screen

143,355

and