My 2002 dodge caravan lurches forward when sitting at a stop light when the heat blower fan is on high. My mechanic says he never heard of such a thing.

Asked by Feb 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM about the 2002 Dodge Caravan

when the car is stopped and the blower on the van is on third high to high the van will try and lurch forward...I t feels like someone is hitting me from behind.  I will be stopped and the speedometer sudden goes up and down.

89,875

Interesting. Does it do it when the blower is off? The speedometer needle goes up when the van is stopped? - That has to be part of the puzzle. --- What would make both the motor rev and make the needle jump?

18,515

playing with the heater controls!, on defrost and the one next to it , the air compresser kicks in,the pcm sees this and kicks up idle, pull the air cond. relay if it is troublesome

50

Just fixed mine with same thing. It was the alternator. If you want to do a quick check, disconnect the leads from the alternator and start the engine. everything should clear up. the reason is a failed diode in the alternator causing feed back into the electrical system. Replace the alternator

50

just a post to those with the same trouble, better late than never

I'm having same problem on 2002 Grand Caravan...speedo jumps around, tach and motor surge, have stalled a few times but starts back up...tried turning AC off and now it runs fine. Haven't had alternator tested but seems to be a power issue...will have alternator checked tomorrow. Thank you!