sell my 1993 crystler lebaren soft top

50

Asked by Oct 04, 2015 at 04:18 PM about the 1993 Chrysler Le Baron

ran good till spark plugs were changed, now  wont run , they say its timing chain off tooth, need to tear down whole front end of engine. I want some one that knows what they r doing, either fare with repair price, or to sell or trade for reliable vehicle, I have a fifteen year old with busy scheduale. n my van just quit.

4,815

Changing spark plugs should never have any impact on the timing chain. Either they did something else to the car when they had it or they are trying to up sell you on an expensive repair that may not be the actual cause of your problem. Before selling the car I would have a second reliable shop diagnose the problem. The fix may be cheaper than you thought. (or you might find reason to take the other service center to court!)

Best Answer

We were typing at same time taver91 but I agree... sounds like they are just trying to get in your wallet

Your 1993 Le Baron has a timing belt, not a chain. All 2.2L. -- 2.5L - 3.5L -Which engine do you have? But the odd thing here is it was fine until spark plugs were changed? Yes. the belt could have slipped a notch but something is not kosher here https://www.google.com/search?q=1993+Chrysler+timing+belt+or+chain&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

67,285

Sounds to me like they moved the distributor for some reason and now the ignition timing is too far off for it to run. If the timing belt broke your distributor rotor won't turn while cranking. If the timing belt jumped enough for the engine to stop running you'll have very low or no compression on all cylinders. Did they run a compression test? I agree, they're trying to get in your wallet!! HTH. -Jim

50

Im not sure on compression test, but yes roter was changed n I think they jumped belt by not putting on correct, n not a shop. its more of pride, n control issue, is my oppinion, basicly looking to trade for running car or mini van, while every one else is at work. thank U all for confirming my suspisions, I appreciate it

67,285

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

Ditto - David

50

so what is worth of 1993 crystler lebaren soft top, straight body clear title, needs special buyer, lalala, top is solid other then timing off, and couple small leaks round doors, no mold, and I've been keping it clean indside n out, neat car to drive the 2 times I got to drive it. wont be stranded any longer. ow in lane county, oregon. thanks for any help

After going to several appraisal sites the median asking price in "Average" condition is about $2,000. Not knowing mileage I arbitrarily plugged in 125,000 and got that number

67,285

You sound like you like the car so why not keep it? You can trade your van in and keep the LeBaron as a second car. Unless, of course, the valve timing is off and now the valves are damaged. Then it's probably not worth fixing. I don't know if your engine is an interference engine. You'd have to find out then run a compression test to see if the valve timing is off. Just a thought. HTH. -Jim

67,285

Thanks Fordnut. Since it's not an interference engine, it might just be worth fixing. HTH. -Jim

50

to start with if I would love to keep it, it was deceased family member who babied it, thou my boyfriend n step dad r ok mechanics, for standard frnt facing engines, they r ones who did killer tune up, thats were the pride comes in, I need a honest good mechanic, that wouldnt charge an arm n leg to fix, side facing engine, while they r at work. so now I've drawn the whole picture. I thank U very much for all your help, I will just keep washing n vaccuuming it n dreaming, for now, thank you again

67,285

Side facing engines are no different than front facing ones. I'd suggest having it towed to a shop for diagnosis and repair. Since your Boyfriend and Step Dad are good shade tree mechanics they just might like finding out what they did wrong. A learning experience. When I was young I dragged dead cars to the repair shop after I'd (ahem) "fixed" them. Once I talked to the mechanic I learned something. Obviously it's your call. Just another thought. HTH. -Jim

50

thank U again, these 2 r almost 50 n 80, good thought thou. I've been checking into shops. thank U for your time

67,285

You're welcome. Glad to help. I hope you can enjoy your LeBaron. -Jim