2000 Chrysler 300m coolant won't stay filled without battle leaks

10

Asked by Sep 27, 2016 at 08:56 PM about the 2000 Chrysler 300M

I recently purchase a 300m, weirdest
problem is. I the coolant won't stay filled,
then the temp gauges randomly goes up and  
until I put some bar leak liquid cooper stay
at an even temp no, but with out the bar lea,
I'll fill up the coolant, and have no idea where
the water was going because their wasn't
any signs of leak under the car!!!. Once I out
4 gallons till this day still have no clue where
the water drained too because never stayed
in the coolant or leaked. Since putting the
bar leak liquid cooper car been running fine.
The previous owner I could tel was having
same difficulties due, the a third part coolant
tan. The temp sensor work fine because the
fans work. The engine doesn't over heat to
touch. list as to what the problem could be
hoping it's not a cracked block, or head
gasket. Any suggestions are highly
appreciated. thanks!

49,395

If you are losing coolant and it is not leaking out there is only one place it can go and that is out the tailpipe. The most likely cause is a bad head gasket or cracked cylinder head.

380

Just like Bob said a bad head gasket or a cracked cylinder head, had 2010 Grand Caravan that did and I realized it too late that the head gasket blown back in January

17,485

Sorry Sir for your troubles. Hopefully the Bars will hold. If it does not hope you purchased with little money as to warrant the cost of head or even more likely the "intake Manifold Gasket" repair.

10

the bars leak held up just for a day!! maybe it is coming out the tailpipe. do you think any of those wal-mart head gasket sealer worth a try??

17,485

No they clog up the internal cooling passageways.

10

Make sense, now my oil gauge light came on now car won't start anymore. Not before fill up the coolant this morning and overheating. Could it be the bar leak clogged up the oil pump maybe?

10

Also I've noticed while I was in the vehicle before it shut down, a whining noise coming from under the hood.

17,485

Not unless you have coolant in the oil already. The intake gasket and Head gasket because it has ran hot are subject and I believe it needs a upper engine gasket set. Although I would want to know why it is whining first and see if that is a separate issue or not.

10

I wasn't using coolan, instead I was using distilled water, I figured I just be wasting coolant since it was holding inside coolant tank. The whining i've heard this morning wasn't very loud, also was going in and out. I did notice while turning the ignition their was a very slight hesitation to start. I changed the oil just two days ago. I never ran the car hot, I was always near home as soon as I notice gauge going up I iimmediately shut the engine of, last night I did notice oil light came up while the ignition was on the "on" mode switch, and that previouly never came up, mind you that I also added the bar leak to the coolant tank last night also. I think the small whining noise might be a separate issue not to sure, maybe a compressor? Since my ac/heat only come out the defrost vent. I did notice small oil residue on the belt that runs the ac compressor. Thanks for all your insight s and replies by the way. It's highly appreciated.

17,485

Your welcome, thanks to you too.