2000 Chrysler 300M

Asked by May 03, 2017 at 03:59 AM about the 2000 Chrysler 300M

I have a 2000 Chrysler 300M  and it started
over heating out of nowhere. We got a new
radiator cap and it seems like since we put
the new cap on we can't keep water in it.
The guage will go up to the half mark and
when I turn on the heater it stays steadily at
the halfway​ mark or just a little below. I
started it today and the engine light came
on and I put a little bit of water in it. Started
it up a couple hours later and it was making
a squealing noise and quit after and few
seconds and the engine light never went off
again. Could you please help me out with
this.

105,485

Head gaskets are suspect, as far as the squeal, could be anything belt driven, alternator,water pump, even belt idlers. This defently needs a professionals attention.

76,335

Try purging the cooling system from air if you have not done so after refilling it. Here is a video on how to do that, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUpXgAJ1gjU

The car still stays steadily on the halfway​ mark.. I was driving it yesterday and the temperature started going up out of nowhere. I pulled into a parking lot turned it off. I went to start it to move it.. it wouldn't start I had to get a friend to give me a jump after it cooled down.. I went a little ways up the road and i pulled over to put water in it and I cut it off and I haven't been able to get it to start.. it acts like the battery is dead.. 4 different people have tried to jump it but it won't start.. any ideas what to do

76,335

First off have the battery checked, may have a short in one of the cells. Sounds like you where running low on coolant for the engine to heat up. When adding coolant to an overheated engine you want to add it when the engine is running or you could damage things. You need to figure out if there is a leak, or what not, other causes. First try to get the engine to turn over. Start with the battery check.

Best Answer Mark helpful

It will crank it just won't start.. the day that it broke down I made sure once the car was cooled down and I got it running that there was water in it. When I stopped to put more in it.. it started leaking water real bad it looked like it was coming from a hose.. that's the first time it had done that... It does crank it just won't start.