1971 Karmann Ghia Autostick

Asked by Aug 31, 2008 at 12:39 PM about the 1971 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia

I have a 1971 Karmann Ghia autostick, and whenever I try to switch gears, it makes a grinding noise and it wont let me go into that gear. The only way I can get it into the gear I want it to be in, is if I turn the car off, put it in gear, then turn it back on. How do I fix this problem?

the auto stick vw is a very stange thing if you twist your shift knob you can mess up the whole thing inside under the knob is a wire and the shift has a tilt to it when you grab it you make the wire ground to the lever and it lets you shift if the contact is out of line it will not shift check it out you can ground it out with the knob of and try to shift to see if that is the problem

sounds like your synchromeshes are busted. What gears have you tried while driving (if that is possible), and why do you have to turn off the engine? Engine running or not should make no difference