Karmann Ghia

Asked by Apr 21, 2014 at 04:52 PM about the 1972 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia

I have a '72 ghia convertible! It was not running for about 5 years, but garaged and is in great condition. Last year I had it serviced and running again...but...at the end of the summer it began stalling and turning off at when I would come to a stop. I could keep it running if I pushed in the clutch and pressed the gas with one foot and applied the break with the other...could someone please help a young ghia owner out?

Thank you - Griffin.doherty@gmail.com

98,415

Check the idle cut solenoid on the side of the carb, if it is not operating it closest the idle port inside the carb so it won't idle, other problems could be some varnish has come loose in the carb, air filter plugged, if this stil has an oil bath make sure it is clean and not over full.

55

My carb had a blade connector on the side of the carb that is for the idle cutoff. When that blade connector would slip off, it would do the exact same thing. And it always seemed to do it when I was lost at night in a bad part of town... see if yours has the same thing. I think mine was a Weber, but I've since replaced it with dual carbs.