All of a sudden we smell fuel inside the car after it is started, HELP!

35

Asked by Sep 16, 2007 at 01:34 PM about the 2002 Chrysler 300M

When we first started the car this morning we smelled a strong fuel smell.  Didn't think much of it then.  Made 2 stops when we were out and again smelled it.  When we got home I got out and walked around it after it was parked and could smell it strongly on the driver's side but, not on the passnger side.  We looked under the hood nothing untoward.  Under the car the only thing dripping was the a/c.  
Any ideas?

42,925

Sounds like either a leak in one of the fuel lines where you can't see it, or perhaps a fuel injector o-ring is leaking. You may also have a problem with your evaporative emissions system allowing some fuel vapor to escape. Have this checked out ASAP as any fuel odor is BAD NEWS.

1,255

possibly a fuel leak at the fuel injector , and/or fuel rail. Chrysler has had problems with the fittings leaking at the fuel rails , there might be a re-call for it. You can search the NHTSB website to see if there are any recalls ,or TSB's about this problem. There are some Chrysler sites devoted to keeping track on problems like this, you will need to do some searching around to see if any more info is available .

70

sometimes the fuel dampner will leak at back of fuel rail, normally only when the vehicle sets overnight and system pressure drops, then when restarted will leak only for a few minutes, try pulling the air snorkel and plumbing when cold and use a mirror to look at fuel rail, watch the bottle cap looking part of fuel rail, watch as helper starts car, or spray with leak detection powder, and test

I have the same problem on my 2001 M 300. The temporary solution is to open the gas cap for a second or two each time you stop the car. It drops the fuel rail pressure so that the leaky injector does not leak gas in the cylinder when the engine is shut off.