i put Freon in my 03 pt cruiser it was blowing ice cold air out fine for a day now its not as cold as it should be would anyone know whats causing this problem???

10

Asked by May 03, 2015 at 08:00 PM about the 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser

69,555

You have a leak in the refrigeration system. HTH. -Jim

225

MOST likely, you have a leak in the system. LESS likely, you put too little or too much freon into the system. Best remedy: if a leak can be ruled out, then the system needs to be evacuated, a new inline filter installed, held under vacuum for at least an hour or longer, then filled with the correct amount of freon. Probably less than $100-$125 at some independent shops.

10

Alright make sense here's another issue I'm having when the car is idling and I turn on the ac the car starts to rumble every ten seconds but when I have the ac off it doesn't do this do you know what causes that?

225

low freon could cause that condition

10

Alright well when I turn my ac on the radiator fan doesnt come on isn't it suppose to kick in on low speed when the ac is on?

69,555

It may not. If the freon is low, the computer won't allow the compressor to come on and may also keep the fans off because the compressor is not running. HTH. -Jim

225

Your fan probably has two speeds. The low fan comes on when engine/coolant temperature reaches a certain threshold. The high speed fan comes on when an A/C system pressure switch is activated. An improper freon level could prevent the switch from activating. Someone with more experience may also confirm this for me: even if the freon level was correct, if the inline filter was clogged, wouldn't that also prevent the pressure switch from working?

10

Alright that makes sense is this an easy fix? And would you know why my car is bogging down when I turn the Ac on it only does this when I turn the ac on

225

See my first post for the best remedy. The shop will do what's called "pull a vacuum" on your system. This will detect if you have a leak or not - if yes, then they will put a tracer dye into the system. They use a UV light to find where the dye (and freon) is leaking. You can sometimes find visible signs of a freon leak (if the engine bay is generally clean) by looking along the A/C lines and connections that have an unusual amount of dirt around them - because the oil in the A/C system seeps through small cracks and attracts dirt (see photo). As for the bogging down when A/C is on - probably due to age and mileage, especially if it's a 4-cylinder engine.