Why does my fuel pump keep going out on my 1981 VW pickup

10

Asked by Aug 01, 2015 at 03:55 PM about the 1981 Volkswagen Caddy

When I got my pickup it had been sitting in the weeds for about two years. I took the fuel
tank down cleaned it out and put that expensive fuel tank liner in. I installed a new fuel
pump, replaced both fuel filters, and ran Sea Foam through it. About two weeks afterword,
I was installing another fuel pump. This is the third pump that I am on now and it has
lasted only three days. Can someone please give some advice or info?

56,705

Sounds like that expensive fuel tank liner is flaking or peeling off and clogging up the fuel pump. Take a sample of the fuel from the tank and inspect it to be sure. HTH. -Jim

1,205

I agree with Jim, also there may other contamination in the fuel system.

210,235

Is the pump actually failing, and or did you check the wiring to see if you have power to the pump?

10

I know that there is power to the fuel pump, because it is still running. But it makes all kinds of funny noises and there is no pressure at the injectors.