caddy has gas smell in cab if fuel tank is over half full

25

Asked by Jan 11, 2010 at 05:29 PM about the 1981 Volkswagen Caddy

Have dropped the gas tank 5 times looking for any leaks and there are'nt any. No leaks under the hood and no leaks in the fuel lines. Smell is stronger after a sharp left turn, also after a hard ecceleration. I'm really stumped. Has anyone out there been through this or know what the problem might be?

what side of the tank is the sendor on?

25

nearly in the center

25

Each time the tank has been dropped there is no sign of leakage around the sending unit

is you lines on the right side of the car?

if your emisions canester is full of gas and on the right side, then it could do it.

25

the fuel lines run on the passanger side then cross over at the front of the truck. The canister is on the driver side by the wheel well.

look for holes or cracks near the canister that goes in the truck. at first when you said caddy i was thinking of a big 5000 pound car.

25

Thanks for the suggestion, looked so hard for gas leaks I didn't even think to check the lines or canister foe fume leads. You probably already know that the VW rabbit pickup is known as a caddy in many other places. Thanks again and I will check that out.

no harm done.lol. im glad to help.

are you from to other side of the pond? im from illinios,USA.

those vdubs are rare over here.

25

LOL No I'm not an Englishman. Was born and raised not far from you, a native from the southside of Indy, long removed to Denver CO. Used to go over to Rockford, Effingham, Mattoon and Cayuga to teach the local boys how to get a Motorcycle over a bad hill. Raced Hillclimbs and was national champ back in the late 60's. But back to the caddy, you may have put me in the right spot. There is a strong gas smell around the canister, even after not having been started for a few days and the input hose looks very old and checked.I need to get the canister off and the hose removed to get a good look at it. Appreciate your input greatly and will post if I find the problem there. Do you mess with V-dubs?

nope. i got a 95 dakota and my rare toy, an 84 amc eagle sedan.who knew, small world. i havent seen those v-dubs in years. today i took a dubble take on a near mint dodge rampage. i thought it wouldve rotted away by now.

85

I'VE FOUND FUEL LINES ON THE OUTPUT SIDE OF THE PUMP GET SLIGHTLY PINCHED, BUILDING EXCESS PRESSURE AND LEAKING FUMES. BUT NOT PINCHED ENOUGH TO CAUSE RUNNING PROBLEMS. CHARCOAL CANISTER IS ALSO A COMMON CAUSE.

8,165

egr full or clogged, i had a eldorado, that every single time it got under 1/4 tank, it would catch on fire....