2004 PT Cruiser - Oil Light Keeps Coming On

Asked by Mar 07, 2019 at 07:00 AM about the 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser

The oil light for my 2004 PT Cruiser keeps coming on. Now a little back story. Had the car about 11 years, it has 138,000 miles. Non-turbo. Standard PT Cruiser, no bells or whistles.

This started happening about 2-3 months ago. I would check the oil and it would be a tad low so I would top it off and the light would go away. Things would be fine for a bit. Then a week would go by, it would happen again. Check oil level, oil was fine. Alright... Restart the car after a bit, it would be fine. This happened again and again.

Take it to the mechanic - they cannot get the oil light to go off. Murphy's Law. They top me off just to be sure and send me on my way.

Happens again and this time it stays on. I take it back in. They start up the car, no light. They keep it for 3 days, take it out here and there, can't get the oil light to come on. Once again Murphy's Law. They replace the oil light sensor anyways. Tell me they aren't sure that is the issue but it being a PT Cruiser, this tends to be a common issue.

No more light, even when I drive it. It runs great for a month. Then it happens again two days ago! I take it back in. Of course, they cannot get the oil light come back on. Oil seems fine, I get an oil change anyways just to be safe.

Yesterday, the belt for my power steering goes out, I take it back in and they fix it. (No oil light issues since the oil change.) I pick the car up last night, drives fine coming home. I figure okay, maybe I am alright. I was wrong. This morning, I drive it and as soon as I get back on the oil light comes back on.

So yeah, that is where I am... 138,000 miles - Oil sensor was replaced a month ago - Oil changed 2 days ago - no oil leaks - all pressure tests and such that my mechanic is running are coming out perfect. Light won't flash for the mechanic, only does it for me. Aren't I lucky? It runs great, there are no sounds or knocks, she drives beautifully, doesn't idle roughly, no smoke or anything, no leaks...

Any suggestions? Even my mechanic is at a loss.

I have the same vehicle and the same problem. But there really isn't a problem. The light just has a mind of it's own.