Over heating issues

50

Asked by Dec 30, 2017 at 04:00 PM about the 2000 Cadillac DeVille

I have a 2000 Cadillac Deville  replaced
water pump radiator took out the thermostat  
fans run fine and the car is still over heating.
Can anyone one tell me why

22,350

Did you bleed air from system ?

79,255

If you have the Northstar engine it's probably going to be the head gaskets. All Northstar engines blow head gaskets sooner or later. To confirm this check for combustion gases in the coolant. If that's what's going on it's not worth fixing. You're looking at upwards of $3500 to fix it correctly! For starters the engine and transmission assemblies both have to come out from the bottom of the vehicle. There's no other way to do the job. HTH- -Jim

116,465

Yep sounds like blown headgaskets too me also.

50

If it was the head gasket would the car be drive able

50

Firebird338 How do I do that

79,255

It would be drivable but not for very far. It will continuously overheat. HTH. -Jim

50

OK I got the car in August it was overheating so I replaced the radiator water pump and the thermostat then removed the thermostat in September and it's still overheating. So my nephew who is a mechanic is lost on what to do

50

I'm almost positive that if it was the head gasket it would have not be drivable for this long

116,465

Just get a DIY head gasket test kit from your local parts store, follow the directions exactly and then you’ll know.

79,255

Your Nephew is obviously not familiar with these engines. Get the test kit, as tennisshoes said and test for exhaust gases in the coolant. Your Nephew can pick up the testing kit at the local auto parts store and follow the directions. At NAPA we sell a product that is poured into the cooling system. It will change color if you have exhaust gases in the coolant. I'd be willing to bet money that's what is going on. As I stated earlier, Northstar engines all blow head gaskets. Do the test and know for sure before putting any more money in this car. HTH. -Jim

50

My nephew did all that and damn car is still overheating the only thing he did not do is blow the lines out. I even took it to the dealer and they can not figure it out either

79,255

Unfortunately a Cadillac Dealer isn't going to want to be bothered with an 18 year old vehicle. As a secondary test have your Nephew pressurize the cooling system when it's cold. Start the engine and if the needle on the pressure tester bounces, it's a blown head gasket. One other thing, how many miles are on this vehicle? If the head gaskets were done in the past you may be looking at worn timing chains. This engine has three. When a timing chain gets worn it retards the valve timing and will cause overheating as well as loss of power. Either way it's honestly not worth fixing. HTH. -Jim

50

OK I just got the car because my transmission went out in my truck but Im going to get rid of the after I get my income tax so I can fix my transmission

50

Thank you guys for all your suggestions

79,255

You're welcome. Glad to help. Keep us posted. - Jim