Over heating

Asked by Sep 11, 2016 at 10:55 AM about the 1992 Cadillac DeVille Base Sedan

I was driving my car and something popped under
the hood and steam came from the hood and my
car started over heating but there's no leaks
anywhere what might be the problem?

25,125

Make sure you still have coolant in the radiator and reservoir. You might have lost it all when you were driving and now there's none left to leak out. I would think that popping noise would be a hose letting go. Check your upper and lower radiator hoses and the bypass and heater hoses. If one of those ruptured you would get an instant steam bath and total loss of coolant. Do NOT run the engine without any coolant, would will fry it. Only run it once you confirm you have full coolant levels and all the hoses are intact. Check also the thermostat and thermostat housing and radiator core. Hopefully it wasn't a head gasket you heard blowing - if coolant levels are decent, check motor oil for coolant contamination. You can google symptoms of a blown head gasket.

15

first check to see if you still have coolant. If no coolant you have a busted hose or your head gasket popped. If you have smoke out the exhaust or coolant in the oil its the gasket, a expensive job.