I have a 2001 DTS. Sometimes when i try to start it, it wont crank. Someone told me that it may not start because it cant read the computer chip in the key. Its a security issue.

Asked by Dec 14, 2011 at 06:51 PM about the 2001 Cadillac DeVille

I have a 2001 DTS. Sometimes I have trouble starting it. Ive been told that it could be the car not able to read the computer chip inside the key. Normally if i continue to try to crank it, it will start after two or three tries. Well yesterday it started and my dash,radio and ac lights wouldnt turn on however the car started along with headlights and tailights. Today i got in it and the battery was dead. What in the hell is wrong with my car!

5,365

If it cranks, it is not the key chip. Could be many things so, if you are not up to troubleshooting and replacing parts, take it to someone. The fix may be easier if you have the right diagnostic tools. As for the dash lights, radio, etc., it could be fuses but probably not if you drained the battery. More likely is that something was left on or there is a short causing all of your problems. Could be one of the relays as well. Just guessing, as I am sure you have too. Tackle the issues separately because it is not likely your battery issue is related to your hard starting issue.

Thanks for the response. I think im going to take it to a professional. My wife had a 2000 Caddilac DHS with the same problem. It would drain every every new battery we would put in it after three days. we took it to the dealership and they couldnt figure it out. they said it could be a "Body Control Sensor". They said it controls the electrical system and security system of the car. If it were to go bad, the cars electronics would turn on by them selves and drain the cars battery. Im thinking that it may have something to do with my car.

10

I have a 2000 Deville, like problem. I changed the crank and cam sensors, but it was the starter. Good luck Al

210

my starter tests good , battery tests bad, i have same problem

2001 DeVille -- Intermittently won't start. From what I can tell... the relays under the hood seem to go out... my guess is from the heat. Just behind headlight passenger side... Relay / fuse box. The one shown in this picture is the one that seems to go out and prevent starting. Also... there is a ACC ... Accessories relay here, too. MAKE sure that under the cover... there is a big thick protective plastic pad. That apparently helps protect the relays. if you lift the cover and see the diagram... and see fuses in the box... then the thick pad is missing. Best place to get a replacement is a Self serve junkyard. I believe that plastic pad... which is about 1/4 inch thick... acts as a heat sink of some sort. But... those relays in that box DO wear out. Attached picture shows the START relay that tends to go out.