im having a problem getting key out of ignition

Asked by Oct 19, 2014 at 09:28 AM about the 2004 Cadillac CTS

the key ignition will not turn all the way to get key out

19,580

Is the battery in your CTS dead?

19,580

Is it a manual transmission?

275

Also, is it in park? And possibly the steering wheel is turned exerting pressure on the locking pawl.

300

I'm having the same problem but my car won't start from ignition it only starts when you mess with the battery cables a certain way! My key was stuck and the battery was bad. I got a new battery and the same thing again.

19,580

Sounds like a bad connection at the battery, starter or under hood fuse box. They should all be clean and tight.

135

I got a recall notice for the key to be replaced, because it was causing problems like that. Look up your model and see if there is a recall on the key.

60

My factory radio got stolen out of the car , the Cadillac CTS 2003 every since the radio got stolen the car started acting that way it is a automatic , and the battery is also good.

1,270

Hey what's goin on .. I have 03 Cadillac cts they key is stuck in ignition & the car won't even crank up/ nothing will come on .. I just put a brand new batter inside so it's not the battery what else u think it could be ???

600

Nothing will come on at all (not even the lights inside the car) on my 04 Cadillac srx, the key is stuck also!! At first it was saying anti theft system on and now it will not start at all!!! HELP PLEASE!!!

450

Key stuck cadillac cts need help

110

ANSWER by Uriah ak on February 09, 2016 Thank God it's not the ecm the same thing happened to me today everybody on the forums was saying it was the ECM but it's not. Where it's shows the what gear your in like drive reverse park etc. push down that S button with the weird shape around. Push it hard even if you break it when I did this my key released and I could see all my fuel and temp gages I can take the key in and out the ignition now. I have to fix that part but I'm sure it is cheaper then replacing the ECM

350

It should be a problem with your ignition lock solenoid on the Cadillac Cts it is aebay round electric device under your steering column cover. When you turn the key back this device is supposed to move a pin that it has in the middle downwards in order to allow to turn the key back in order to take it out. Also check for the traction control light or issues that say Service Antitheft System as it can also cause this to occur

350

Mssparker1121 try reprogramming there are instructions online and usually takes about 30 minutes. When the antitheft system gets enabled it desables traction control which also tells the system when it is in Park in order to know when to release the key

350

Meant try reprogramming the key

10

No the battery is fine

220

I'm having the same problem my service anti theft light and traction control light are on and my key won't turn off all the way or come out but car will crank but my gas and temperature gage don't work please help

50

@Haley where you able to find out what the problem is minevitable did the same thing today while I am on vacation

20

has anybody figured out what the problem is? cause my Caddy is doing the same thing that Haleys car is doing? i about to spend $120.00 at the Cadillac shop to check this out... HELP

50

It's the ECM... I was able to get it through my brother's job for $400... I had another key so I just lock it and disconnect the battery when I get out of it... it's a pain in the assignment but it is a temporary fix until the part comes in

30

I have the same problem why you do you fix it can you tell me how you fix it

10

My Cadillac 04 cts was having the same problem but once I checked the battery cables it regained power and I was able to turn the ignition and power was restored. Tyj it was nothing major!

90

PLEASE HELP: I parked my car 2013 CTS and 10min later wouldn't at all start. all the power went down, they key wont come off. The gear even on N wont change. the batter is 14Voltage with new alternator. Jump started the battery and nothing. All the power inside is out cant even lock the windows . NOTHIN! someone suggested Thief control? Any advise?

90

I meant to 203 cts

40

After pages of this problem on google why is it that no one has posted an actual FIX??

10

if you can't get the key out, it is a bad ECM

40

Underneath the steering column there is to holes. The one closest to you when you are feeling for it which makes it the top hole...you can place a ball point pin in there - have to find just the right spot and push, then the key comes ight out :). Will still Have to find the issue that continues to cause it however at least you can get the key out. Hope this helps

30

Hi all, My key was stuck in ignition. Due to this I kept having to let battery drain. Finally car stopped working. I tried to jump it and all the lights came on except it wouldn't turn over. After a few minutes of taking jumper cables off the battery died. So I replaced the battery, everything came on immediately. Made sure car was in park and she started right up. However the key still stuck. I figured out how to get it out. I have a 04 cts and underneath the steering column are two holes. If you use a ball point pin and push in there, the key will release. So at least I got car started but why the hell is key stuck. I already got the key fixed with the ignition recall. Not sure if there is a reprogramming that needs to be done or what is going on.