How do I solve electrical problems with dash mounted accessories?

885

Asked by Jan 12, 2012 at 11:58 AM about the 2002 Ford Expedition

We recently bought a 2002 ford expedition xlt and have had no problems until today.  This morning my wife drove my daughter
to school (about 15 miles), along the way the parking brake light came on.  When she got to the school she shut off the truck and
the heater blower motor stayed on.  She turned the truck back on and off and the blower motor continued to run until she shut it
off at the heater control switch.  I ran into town to check things out.   I set and then released the parking brake which turned off
the parking brake light.  The fan problem was no longer happening(was working correctly).  I checked all the brake lines and the
parking brake, all were fine with no leaks.  On the way home the low washer fluid light was flashing on and off and the radio quit
working.  The radio turned back on as soon as I put the truck in park and the washer fluid is full.  I have had similar problems in
my 2000 f150 with the radio and instrument lights and occasionally the power window.   This must be a common problem.  Has
anyone else had this happen to them?  Does anyone know what the solution might be?  

885

After some online research, I think I may have this problem figured out. From what I have read this is a common problem for expeditions, excursions and F-series trucks. The windshield seals are prone to leaking, allowing water to run down the A- pillar shorting out the GEM module and the fuse block. If caught early enough serious damage might be avoided by resealing the windshield. If not the Gem module and/or the fuse block will become corroded internally and require replacement. If anyone has any experience with this and has any suggestions I would love to hear them. Does anyone have any tips for resealing a windshield? I have never done it.

50

I had this happen to me after Hurricaine Rita. I believe water came in the windshield and got into either the PCM or the fuse box. The car was doing crazy stuff when it was off. It caused a battery drain and then some dash lights would stay on and the odometer would read or read only dashed, even with the key out of the ignition. I read about the windshield leak issue so to test it I managed to get the truck in the garage, disconnected the battery and then I put a electric heater on the floor on the driver's side so that the hot air (had heater on 750wats so not too hot) got up into the fuse box area. I left the windows down about 2 in all 4 windows. I wanted it warm in there but wanted moisture to be able to get out. I ran heater for 12 hours, went out, reconnected the battery and now car is running and acting normally for 1st time on a week. I will now get the windshield resealed. I think that will do it.

165

this is your issue, change this and it will run perfect again

160

Why do you say replace that part an will run fine??? I have a 2008 expedition limited 2 weeks ago went thru car wash 5 times in 5 days. When I came out last 2 times my passenger heater was on high This week I'm driving an my radio goes out then brake light comes on door ajar lights up an tire monitor fail comes on! Parked shut off an 2 hours later dead battery I looked everywhere for an answer an only saw 2 people with my exact problem. They went to ford an they replaced all this shit an nothing resolved. At the end of the whole forum no answer.

160

http://www.automotiveforums.com/ t878841- parking_brake_and_tmps_dash_ligh ts_on.html

140

My 99 ford f150 has issues that just started the other day as well my radio, heater, windows and windshield wipers will not work when started but will work when key is turned backwards any suggestions ??

10

I don't have a answer, I have had tojun

10

I don't have a answer, but I have had to jump mines off. When I removed the keys all the lights and radio was coming on, scary

30

I have a 2000 expedition Eddie Bauer and like everyone in this forum it has gone loco. I think we should all get together and form a club. This is obviously a problem that is common. I will do some research and post what I find tomorrow.

I'm having the same problem with my 1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer. My mechanic told me to replace the fuse block and get the windshield resealed. I'll let you know what happens.

I have the same problem... however, sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. Sometime I can go weeks without driving and everything is fine and other times, the next day the battery is dead. I keep a jumper box in the vehicle (1998 Expedition)

885

Didn't realize this thread was still active. We had the windshield professionally resealed shortly after this thread started. Our problems continued for about a week then disappeared. 4 years later, none of the problems have resurfaced. We waited too long to fix the f150 but I'm still driving it with it's problems and have gotten used to them.

20

What would cause the park, door ajar and tire deflation sensors to all be on at the same time.

Not sure if this post is still active? I have a 2004 Expedition, it has always ran great. Then a month ago all gauges went crazy while driving, but kept running fine. I was on a trip and it did it 3 other times the same day, about 2 hrs apart each time. The last time it stalled my car. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the alternator, so I had it replaced (mind you the check engine light never came on). Then about a week ago I was driving home on the freeway, I had been driving about an hr and half and it did it again, this time at night turned of headlights everything. Gliche only last a few seconds, but definetly not safe. When it happened the last time, it was when I went to turn on my brights. Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas. Mechanics seem baffled by it. The car has 178,000, but a engine thats still strong, so I really dont want to get rid of it.

10

Mine is Eddie Bauer 2000. I knew it was a leak via the windshield because whenever it rained water would drip and collect on the driver's side mat. On these occasions, the windshield washer would flash on/off although it's a full tank, the door ajar chime would come on when I opened the door although the engine is off and the key isn't inserted into the ignition. The last straw was when the air conditioning fan started coming on even after shutting off the engine. Long story short, autoshop replaced the windshield (they claim it it's cheaper to replace and also will have better seal) to stop the leak. They also replace the solenoid and alternator. Problem resolved but at a price of $1k

My 03 Eddie Bauer truck just recently had a transmission replaced . No when I dive it the gauauge goes to 100 an the battery flickes I lose power but it comes back on with out having to crank it back up . What could that be

10

This is an old thread, but thought I'd advise we've learned that these vehicles leak water onto the fuse block & GEM wreaking havoc. If not dealt with corrosion will occur and require replacement. According to one source: Safelite windhshield installer said "the problem wasn't the windshield in these trucks. Its the seam sealer running along the sides of the roof. He said they dry up and crack, allowing water to get behind the windshield and down the A pillar."