74 ford f100 360 idles fine but when i give the gas it chokes out

Asked by Dec 13, 2014 at 08:47 AM about the 1974 Ford F-100

8,120

Sounds lean, inspect the spray with the engine off, from the accellerator pump. Evaluate that carb for even rebuilding. If the throttle shafts are good and no other problems or causes of lean condition exist, that's fixable. If Ford garage cant find your motorcraft repair kit using the tag on the front corner, ask them who the carb specialists are in your town. Those parts can be considered obsolete, but it never stopped us if it still crossed to a good number. the contents would be what you need.

92,705

Does it blow black smoke just before it dies? If so check air filter and for any air flow restriction to the engines air intake, then check the choke make sure it is opening fully, could be a bad choke heater, if it is open fully then the carb most likely needs overhauled.

8,120

Timing out of spec and worn distributor parts can be part of your issue if the carb shows to be ok. of course vacuum leaks and old hoses can suck too.

Make sure timing advance is hooked up. In 1974 they are vacuum advance