Why won't my car start

Asked by Nov 27, 2016 at 01:15 AM about the 1977 Ford LTD

I have this smooth lovely ltd that has no more than
20k miles. Car has an electrical fuel pump, tried
mechanical one..both have failed to put gas out
into carb..starter has been changed new gas tank
fuel lines blown then replaced..car turns over but
doesn't stay on. Fuel filter is completely dry so we
put jug under the hood and ran gas from it. Car ran
perfectly!  Car was getting a little gas and would
cut off on me. Now it won't start .they say it's a bad
fuel sending unit.  Helppppp

100,485

I have seen the pickup tubes on the fuel sender assembly corrode through so,the car would only run on a full tank, and also the fuel strainer on the end of the pickup tube get plugged up, but that should have been caught when the tank was replaced. On the electric pump, those don't lift fuel very good, that is why they want you to put it as close to the fuel tank as possible, on those that I have installed I have tried to go no farther than a foot of hose from tank to pump. When the pump was working did you notice any air bubbles in the fuel? If so that is a sure sign of a leak in the pickup pipe.

23,225

the electric pump should work- but only if it is mounted back by the tank- a pump would rather PUSH than PULL

Best Answer Mark helpful

The electric won't do anything..the gas tank has been changed the fuel lines changed..carb good. Had the electric mounted to the baxk..the mechanical pump only pulls gas when there's a jug of gas under the hood with the line running from the pump to gas jug..pinholes are in the metal tube of the fuel sending unit..could that be the problem ?

100,485

That was the first thing I told you to check, yes it is a problem.

@tennisshoes I'll order that part and let you know how it goes...I just needed someone other than my mechanic to tell me that since we've tried everything. Thanks!

New lines.. sending unit, fuel pump..gas tank..still no gas going to carburetor

100,485

That's nuts, if the pump is good there should be plenty of draw at the tank to lift the fuel to the pump and then pressurize it and send it to the carb. Sometimes it can take a bit priming to get the fuel lifted, I have filled the float bowl through one of the vent holes in the carb a couple of times to get the real stubborn ones to pickup and start pumping.