I just today bought a 1988 Ford Ltd Lx Crown Victoria. It started beautiful and runs nice.... But then all the sudden it just quits. Both when running idle and when driving. It won't restart immediately but given sitting time it starts nicely and runs nicely.... For a few minutes, then quits again :( why?

160

Asked by Jul 25, 2014 at 11:28 PM about the Ford LTD

It started beautiful and runs nice.... But then all the sudden it just quits. Both when
running idle and when driving. It won't restart immediately but given sitting time it starts
nicely and runs nicely.... For a few minutes, then quits again :( why?

86,805

The most common failure is the ignition module and distributor stator, the next one is the EEC power relay.

Best Answer
160

Ok so this is helping. I narrowed it down (I think) to when the car warms up it quits. But it's not hot. No steam or smoke. It's rainy and chilly today about 12°. From totally cold the car runs about 20min. If already warm 5 minutes. So of the most common problems you listed which one would cause this, any idea, or most likely to cause?

222,905

When it won't start warm, like Tennisshoes mentioned it could be the ICM or Ignition Control Module located on the side of the distributor. You would need to have your car tested to see if this is the part in question.

86,805

Right Tom, NAPA has a module tester that can stress the unit, the TFI module is the first thing as they are considered high fail.

160

Where is the EEC located.

86,805

Relay or main computer?

160

The one you mentioned in your first answer.

160

I'm trying to get a pic posted

160

The 3 wires are just hanging loose like that. It's like the part they plug into is missing. But the one piece is the EEC tester? Lol I've been studying the EEC since you mentioned it last night.

86,805

Search How to test Ford EEC 1 That web page will show you the plugs and how to get the codes.

160

My husband just went to get the Electronic Control Module from Bumper to bumper. The car has a 302 motor so Bumper to Bumper has one. Where is this part located to replace it?

160

Is that the module we are supposed to replace?

86,805

On the side of the distributor, it is held on by 2 5.5mm bolts, most 5.5mm sockets are too thick to fit in the recess, have him get the wrench while he is at the parts store.

160

Right. Thank you. I forwarded the wrench needed advice to him :)

160

WoooHoo! Thank you you guys. You nailed it first shot. The car runs excellent now. My husband changed the ignition control module and the car was good for at least an hour and didn't heat up. It runs smooth and powerful. I have a 4 hour drive to a work site on Monday. A reliable car is very important. Thank you very very much for your help and expertise. I made a big difference.

222,905

:-)

86,805

:-)