My engine will not turn over. All I hear when I turn the key over is a clicking sound coming from the starter. Any suggestions???

Asked by Aug 19, 2010 at 08:04 PM about the 1977 Ford LTD

I have a 77 LTD with a 460. When I try to start it, all I can hear is a clicking sound and the engine will not turn over. I've replaced starter, solinoid, cables, ingition switch and tumbler, and coil.  Battery is good.  Would the neutral safety switch be the problem? Before this happened, It would start, drive it somewhere, then try to start it again, and nothing would happen.  This problem started happeneing more and more, then finally all i get now it a clicking sound.  Not sure where to go from here.  Any suggestions????

Compression.....maybe?

15

check ur cables to ur battery

How many amps does your battery have? you want atleast 800CCA for a big block. also have you tried bypassing your solinoid? My ltd used to do the same thing, but only when the starter was hot.