Looking for wiper switch 9 prong; for 1978 Ford Ranchero GT. Please help n Thank you for your time. Lena

Asked by May 21, 2012 at 01:06 PM about the 1978 Ford Ranchero

The switch is a round knob; turns right to turn wipers on; push to wash. Only car I have and it has to be repaired before inspection / can register. Please help if you can?  Thank You, Lena

6,395

Lena, You should be able to find the '78 Ranchero switch at any one of the following places. greensalescompany.com in Ohio for a brand new switch or All Ford Junkyard in Minn., call 1-800-359-0970 for a good used switch.

165

lena... they no longer make the 9 pin an there is no nos parts out there ( had to find one for my 79) there are 9 pin interment but they wont work with a 2 speed wiper motor. i ended up useing a 2 speed from anothe type of car an rewireing it to fit. lots of luck.

605

A junkyard may also work. Another thing is see if its the same as any other more common vehicle. The more common vehicle may yield a better chance of finding one.

6,395

Lena, kirksss is WRONG. There are plenty of places out there to find that switch. I used to sell N.O.S. Ford parts up to a couple years ago and there are still plenty of suppliers of Genuine Ford/Motorcraft and other aftermarket parts for your 78 Ranchero if you know where to look, and I DO. .. Here's a link to an aftermarket supplier for a wiper switch for a 78 Ranchero with or without intermittent wipers http://www.theautopartsshop.com/auto+car-usa+parts+year/ford+ranchero+windshield-wiper-switch+1978.html I also checked my national Ford Parts Locator and the original part number is D8OZ-17A553- A Motor craft # is SW-1480 Here is who is showing that they have it. in stock.. Collectors Auto Suppy at Ihttp://collectorsautosupply.com/query.asp?make=FORD&year=0§ion=SWITCHES I'm sure if they have one, that they will ship UPS right to your front door. please call this number 1-888-772-7848 Let me know if you come up with one. Kenny.

5

try autokrafters.com have alot click on catalog for 78-79racheros check out can`t hurt

20

I also was unable to find a wiper switch for my 78 Ranchero, so I took a hard look at the installed switch that wasn't working. I found that the metal tabs had released their grip and the front knob was no longer engaged in the mechanism that rotates the switch to and from each contact. The little ball bearing that was used to indicate the positions had fallen to the bottom of the switch. I took it apart and cleaned out all the old grease and renewed with new dielectric grease and put it back together. I also cinched the two halves of the switch with stainless steel safety wire. It would take an act of congress to get the thing separated again. I think the tabs give up because there is a lot of pressure on the switch when the knob is pushed in for the windshield washer operation. I now have my two-speed wipers, and the washer. I probably didn't need to, but I clipped each wire and installed connectors on each one so I could work on the switch at the bench with the wires intact.

605

Good to hear.

Please some one tell me why my windshield wipers do not work on my 79 ford ranchero. Thank you.

20

I have a lot of wipers wishes for Ranchero 480 284 1706